View Poll Results: Shounen ? shoujo ? josei ? seinen ?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Josei

4 4.26%
  • Seinen

35 37.23%
  • Shoujo

5 5.32%
  • Shounen

39 41.49%
  • Else or IDK

11 11.70%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shounen ? shoujo ? josei ? seinen ?

One of The Followers

Poll Shounen ? shoujo ? josei ? seinen ?

Hello

This thread is a redo from this one, because MF was having proclems that day so I couldn't do a pool as my wish that time -- and can't insert a pool in the thread after forum return to normal.

So, let's begin again, with a pool this time

Quote Originally Posted by noir_ecaille View Post
    Hello

This story remind me a lot more of josei genre than shounen genre, even speaking about romanced shounen, so doesn't it be worth to be tagged josei more than shounen ?

Why do I think that ?

1) The plot does not consist of shounen standards : over coming limits, rivalty and loyalty, friendship that spices fights, no really combat/fight, etc.

2) It's a serious plot that consist a lot lot more of adult standards : gratutious hatred and gratutious violence, exclusion, socialbility or reational problems, handicaps, etc.

3) Even if the mains characters are teenagers, the view point stand out from children universes. It's an adult view point -- children with skills like that do exist, but sadly it always go hand in hand with traumatic childhood...

4) The avarage josei standards turn around more realistic relation between characters. That is to say, as much as more and more people find it soooo realistic, the mor it discard the shounen tag and deserve the josei tag.

5) The story turns a lot about the everyday lives of the characters, particularly about Shouya's life. And also, silently in the background, about each character every day life, either about past or present days. BUT it's not a slice of life. It does not taste like that. It's more serious, less peaceful.

6) If it does not deserve the josei tag, than it's a seinen.

Well. Your turn to speak about it. What it your view point ? How do you feel it ? And why ?

Thanks to answer it
    Don't Google it, but Duck it.

I've read plenty of seinen, and I can tell you, that stuff is way more "serious" there's not too much comic relief, and even if there's some it's most black humor, the characters tend to be not very likeable, the relationships among the characters are very complex (I haven't seen this in Koe no Katachi), the only josei I've read (Pumpkin and Mayonnaise) was very dramatic and slow paced, so I can't mix Koe no Katachi with the "mature" stuff I've read. I'd label it as a shounen.

One of The Followers

Well it depend the seinen. In Welcome to the NHK ! there a lot of light humor, even if the subject turn to be about the hikikomori matter. Though the end is quite dark... But I won't spoilt if some readers haven't read/finished it Acchi kocchi is another light seinen, very soft, but different from shoujo or shounen -- offbeat humour to say so.

Another thing : some rare shoujos talk about serious subjects/matters like Shiro no Eden. Want harder shoujo ? Try Love in the mask. Sensei ni, ageru is not bad but a bit sad.

You want some joseis ? Try Kimi no sei, maybe you would find it a bit faster than Pumpkin and Mayonnaise. Hapi mari is more fun. The friendly winter is really hard in its subject and deserve more a josei tag than "shoujo", or even a seinen tag.

As to say "seriouness" means a lot... of stuffs, things and all.

Not all seinens are "horrible" nor shoujos can't be "a bit" realistic (just a bit for me ^^ ).

It's just that KnK lacks all of the characteristics form shounen genre. If it's tag "shounen" just because the main character is male, then go read Bitter virgin : same ambiance, a little different background and a high-schooler as lead. It's tagged seinen.

Everyone is saying it : it's too much realistic for a shounen, and it lacks all of the plots that made shounens.
    Last edited by noir_ecaille; 02-09-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Banned

well about "Shounen'

first we have a horrible missconception of "shounen" who all shounen are only about action, battle friendship(nakama) and bla bla bla, this not true, shounen also can be about romance, like kimi no iru mashi, like tasogare otome amnesia. horimiya and others, then say who "because" the focus of the manga is romance this dont diserves shounen is wrong, means who you have only a half of knowledge about the topic, in the same way who not 100% of the shoujo are about romance( we have fews where romance is not the main plot)

this manga is published in a "shounen magazine" if i'm not wrong in the same shounen magazine of fairy tail, than this means who this manga is shounen.

about serious, we have few shounens with "some serious plots", it's just who not all mangakas are followers of too much "cliches" and try to come with things more originals and in this case the mangaka used the bullying theme as a away to teach the "shounens" how bad this can be, it's just a way to teach.

for me tag something different from what he really is just because i "thing this diservers or dont diserves is wrong" was the same when Fairy Tail was flagged as ecchi even not being really a ecchi, or when kimi no iru machi lost ecchi tag being a ecchi, you are denying the source doing things like that.

if this manga is published in a shounen magazine then he is shounen is simple like that.

Shounen ain't a genre, dude it's a demographic.

this manga is serialized in the "weekly shounen magazine" of kodansha. It's a shounen.

One of The Followers

The view point, in shounens, is not adult-like.

Then, you think KnK is just shounen because published in "weekly shounen magazine". Why not ? Just let me think... If it's a seinen borderline, just because the lead is high-schooler, why not try to publish as well ?

I don't care so much.

In one hand, people who search storyline like that would mostly tag "seinen" in the Mangafox search engine. So they would miss it.

In the other hand, I've read lot of disturbed comments in this forum about KnK storyline. Because the subject is as serious as a seinen/josei, and they probably weren't prepared to read that. The one-shot give the tone, the rest is just a development.

The only one else tag I could think about is MATURE maybe ? It's a minimum.
    Last edited by noir_ecaille; 02-09-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Banned

The view point, in shounens, is not adult-like.

Then, you think KnK is just shounen because published in "weekly shounen magazine". Why not ? Just let me think... If it's a seinen borderline, just because the lead is high-schooler, why not try to publish as well ?

I don't care so much.

In one hand, people who search storyline like that would mostly tag "seinen" in the Mangafox search engine. So they would miss it.

In the other hand, I've read lot of disturbed comments in this forum about KnK storyline. Because the subject is as serious as a seinen/josei, and they probably weren't prepared to read that. The one-shot give the tone, the rest is just a development.

The only one else tag I could think about is MATURE maybe ? It's a minimum.
    mature is only used for sex, violence, gore and blood, this manga dont have nothing this, this is the reason he is not for peoples who want "adult material"

again you have a slight strict vision about what is adult and teenager, this manga for now is obvious a teenager manga.

like the guy told seinen, shounen, shoujo e josei are just demographs not a true gender, and even many times peoples from all the demographs read mixed types, old boys read shounen, young guys read seinen and all.

like i told previous the mangaka is just writing a manga about bullying for the teenagers, using RL instead of fantasy(for now) this is just a slice of life(that is the perfect tag), with bullying as plot.

One of The Followers

I'm sorry to teach you that the "demographic" definition is has been, just a cliché from the 1980's.

There are shounens entirely devoted to female public like Hakuouki or shoujos for only male public too.

So stop there with that false way to "definite" what make a shounen and what does not make a shounen. That won't explain or even depict the genre.

According with wikipedia :
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Shōnen (少年) manga (漫画) is typically characterized by high-action,[2] often humorous plots featuring male protagonists. The camaraderie between boys or men on sports teams, fighting squads and the like is often emphasized. Attractive female characters like Bulma from Dragon Ball or Nami from One Piece, with exaggerated features are also common (see fan service). Main characters may also feature an ongoing desire to better themselves.
    Plus a shounen (boy) is a youth underage.

I don't think a 15y old would really estimate such storyboard as delicious as One piece or even better, but I can be mistaken. Even so, it's a really good drama and not everybody do know or comprehend hijime, as we have subjects like this one or that one. It really depicts the big gap that exists between adult way and adolescent way of thinking. Why such a gap ? Just call it experience or even maturity... anyway each of them/us should step in a day or another. And it does make you change : your view, your mind, your behavior, even your heart, etc.
    Last edited by noir_ecaille; 02-09-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Banned

I'm sorry to teach you that the "demographic" definition is has been, just a cliché from the 1980's.

There are shounens entirely devoted to female public like Hakuouki or shoujos for only male public too.

So stop there with that false way to "definite" what make a shounen and what does not make a shounen. That won't explain or even depict the genre.

According with wikipedia :

Plus a shounen (boy) is a youth underage.

I don't think a 15y old would really estimate such storyboard as delicious as One piece or even better, but I can be mistaken. Even so, it's a really good drama and not everybody do know or comprehend hijime, as we have subjects like this one or that one. It really depicts the big gap that exists between adult way and adolescent way of thinking. Why such a gap ? Just call it experience or even maturity... anyway each of them/us should step in a day or another. And it does make you change : your view, your mind, your behavior, even your heart, etc.
    you are missunderstood slice of life or school life with shounen, seinen, shoujo, josei

Shōnen (少年) manga (漫画) is typically characterized by high-action,[2] often humorous plots featuring male protagonists. The camaraderie between boys or men on sports teams, fighting squads and the like is often emphasized. Attractive female characters like Bulma from Dragon Ball or Nami from One Piece, with exaggerated features are also common (see fan service). Main characters may also feature an ongoing desire to better themselves.
    you know what this word means???? just because most of the shounen are action related this dont means who all the shounen are action, is just the most common pattern

about the demograph, this is just like that work is more moved to peoples of this age but this dont means who peoples from another demograph can't read/enjoy( as long the work is proper rated for their age)

to be pratical shoujo word in the beginner for manga didn't exist, shoujo was created later cuz in the past this was for girls who wanted a more "romance" oriented work than the boys, but all mangas animes where just shounen in the past only late started to have a better demograph but this dont means who as long the work is safe for the age any person from any demograph can read/watch, good exemples are FT, OP where is a shounen but have a lot of adults reading watching.

you are a too much strict in past vision where the things are different, if you want their change this tag because you want then try to do but this is making the things wrong.

the problem is who japaneses like to teach their childrens too early(10+ years) about the world, this is the reason who the age of make sex is 13 and things like that.
    here the 2 better quotes for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sei-sama View Post
    ...I think you have read too much Shounen Fighting Manga and think all of them are like that.

This is a Shounen Slice of Life Manga like "Gin no Sagi".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sei-sama View Post
    "Rivality" is not present on "Gin no Saji" (except on Hachiken's mind at the beginning of the Manga) and even if it were it is a component of Fighting Manga which "Koe no Katachi" isn't, so there is no reason for "Rivality" in KnK.

There is "Rivality" in "Kaichou wa Maid-sama" and its a Shoujo Manga.

And "Seriousness" its not a relevant point here, KnK is not a Comedy Manga. "Saint Seiya" and "Hokuto no Ken" are way more serious than KnK and are Shounen Manga.

I still think you have only read crappy Shounen Manga like One Piece and think all of them are like that.

"Shounen" is just a way to describe the Manga's target demography and if the Mangaka's target demography is "Young Males" then its a Shounen, nothing else.
    that quotes are perfect, if you dont agree fine but their are the truth.
    Last edited by Ellessarr; 02-09-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Ah, I had a long response but it got deleted before I posted it...

Well anyway, first of all, shounen et al. are demographics, not genres. I suppose if you really wanted to you could take them as a sort of general guideline to what the manga will be like, though there are plenty of exceptions to this. Secondly, I'm pretty sure what a manga is categorized as is entirely dependent upon what magazine it appears in. For example, A Channel, K-On!, Kill Me Baby, and Hidamari Sketch are all seinen because they all appear in the seinen magazine Manga Time Kirara Carat. I don't know about you guys, but if seinen was a genre, I would not categorize any of these manga as it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast