Page 1 of 508 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoilers thread

Default Spoilers thread

There are going to be SPOILERS everywhere in this thread. If you don't like it, then just don't read anything past this sentence.

Seidou players' profiles 1-10, 11-22
    Inajitsu players' profiles 1-4

Vol.18-22

Vol.23-25

Vol.23-25(continued)

Vol.25-26

Vol.27

Vol.28-29

Vol.30 part1; Vol.30 part2

Vol.30-31

Vol.31

Vol.31-33 part1; Vol.31-33 part 2

Vol.33-34

Vol.34 part 1; Vol.34 part 2

Vol.34-36 part 1; Vol.34-36 part 2

Vol.36 part 1; Vol.36 part 2

Vol.36-37 part 1; Vol.36-37 part 2

Vol.37

Vol.38-40 part 1; Vol.38-40 part 2; Vol.38-40 part 3; Vol.38-40 part 4; Vol.38-40 part 5

Vol.40

Isashiki's SPIRITS
    The managers' diary

Recent chapters spoilers
    359-361 362 363 364 365 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412
    THE MANGA IS ON A BREAK TILL SPRING
    Last edited by TDX; 02-09-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: adding links

Vol.23-25(continued)

Vol.25-26 (for now)

I'll stop here for now.
    Last edited by TDX; 04-19-2014 at 09:55 AM.

One of The Followers

Thanks for the description of the volumes. I appreciate it!!

For appropriate discussion on the RAW, i will repost one of mine here where I discuss mostly on the latest chapters, between 30 - 38.

My thought on the recent development:

I seriously like how forward thinking Sawamura has been and his evolution is starting to pay off fairly for his hard efforts.
    As for the talent comparison between Sawamura and Furuya, I firmly believes that Furuya is starting to get left behind, at least realistically a logical team should always favor Sawamura than Furuya for the following reasons:

• Although fast, and even with the new curve fast ball, Furuya's pitch lacks variety, which is critical to winning long, drawn out games since professional batters can get used to even the fast ball.
    • Physical shortcomings, Furuya has no stamina to throw a full drawn-out game; thus, when his pitch's speed decrease, he is a sitting duck and vol 38 stresses that. He have strong opening games but overwhelming slugger batter can hit his ball no problem later on and even scored a Homerun in the vol. And he seems to get injuries quite easily probably because he put his body too much strains. So even though possessing a strong arm, his other bodyparts are quite vulnerable. Hence, he lacks the physical potential to be a good sportman.
    • No personality. Although very competitive, he has no communications with the team, which is critical to a team sport such as baseball. Of course all the nice Senpai supports him in the begining of the manga since they trust him to win games for them and he does the same but he has no way to further strengthen that bond and will fall short in important tense moments. Which is a quality why he cannot be a true Ace despite the new Coach's bragging.
    • Selfishness. There's a fine line between motivation and selfishness and currently, he's being selfish in vol. 38. After gaining a chance to throw, he shows his determination to reaffirm his position as the team ace and performs well, but the opponent team were too good so he became tense and twisted his feet during the game. Even after that he says he don't want to give up the mound to anyone, which is now become selfishness as he wants to perform, to show off his capabilities while putting the team at risk, which he then proceeds to gift the opponent several points afterwards.

One of the reason many readers having been loathing Furuya is because after the lost to Inashiro, Sawamura had a long period of sub-par performance due to the "Dead ball" walk he allowed Inashiro still haunting him. During this period, Sawamura played horribly and probably all players have higher expectations for Furuya who has been performing quite well during vol. 18 - 26 as you can see in TDX's summary. So Furuya probably thinks he too far ahead of Sawamura already or is starting to seriously underestimate him so he had several provocative statement such as "I will become the ace of the team" and "There's no need for two pitcher on the mound" which further adds salt into Sawamura's injury. Again, this come back to my point of Furuya's non-existing communication skills. In a team sport, encouraging your teammates in harsh time is neccessary, especially in times such as this, displaying petty competitiveness can turns to downright mocking or insult. Ignorant is a personality trait that Furuya possesses right from the begining, and sometimes he can be respectful to the senpai but other times downright arrogant. This may be the main reason.

Since TDX haven't write a summary of these chapters, I will put this bit in spoiler just to make sure not to caught people off guard scrolling through the thread, haha.

I believe by the time vol. 39 comes out and Sawamura replaces Furuya on the mound, our worries will be washed away and when they qualified for Koushien, the new coach would shut-up and fades into the background. Although right now Furuya has the number 1 shirt but I strongly believe that's because of Japanese ethics influence since Furuya was selected before Sawamura to become regular, his official position in the team is obvious higher than Sawamura so the no. 1 is a obvious flow of things because it would show coach Tao's favorism if he were to nominate Sawamura immediately to the spotlight. That would cause tension to both senpai players as well as the newbies and potentially even the Sponsors. So don't worry, Sawamura will get there, well, he's already there just lacking the official recognition.
    Last edited by godamfireV; 11-29-2013 at 11:53 PM.

One of The Followers

Thanks TDX and godamfireV. I've all the way through to vol 38 raws but can only kind of get the story because I can't read Kanji. Quick question: are some of these teams from eastern Tokyo or all from the west?

@godamfireV
    Well, I'm a Sawamura fan as well I'm totally liking the payoff we got in the later volumes when Sawamura aquired the changeup. It broadened his similarity to Narumiya Mei, too: both are left-handed, have the changeup as their winning shot, have quirky but bright personalities and charisma, want Miyuki as their catcher, and Sawamura shut out Inajitsu upon his first appearance on the mound just like Narumiya did to Seidou a year earlier. Their similarity is an important aspect of the story, imo, because their teams, being in the same block, are destined to fight it out - to go to Koshien they absolutely must destroy the wall in their way that is the other team. As I see it, when Sawamura and Narumiya cancel each other out, the deciding factor in the fight between them will be Miyuki and the choice he's made when he turned down Narumiya's offer in middle school. The one who has him as their battery partner wins (that is, Sawamura and Seidou). The problem is Sawamura has to at least take the goddamn ace number from Furuya first - -' Ahhhh, so frustrating.

Anyway, I had genuine fun when the situation unfolded basically like this:
    Kataoka: I know what Sawamura lacks. A breaking ball. Well, maybe he'll learn it someday. In the distant future.
    A couple of days later Miyuki and Sawamura come to Kataoka.
    Miyuki: He's learned how to pitch a breaking ball. In one night. And he has a shitload of varieties - the way it breaks changes when his grip on the ball changes.
    Kataoka: ... (speechless due to shock)
    Ochiai: I taught him the changeup with the intention of making him learn his place when he miserably fails to get a hand of it, but I ended up powering him up instead to the point where my favorite Furuya is in danger from him... Not according to plan at all. That's what they call epic fail, huh...

There're many things I wanna say about Sawamura and Furuya, but typing it all up eats up so much time. I'll try to later, but for now I just want to say this: as a person, Sawamura far outstrips Furuya, he's a better man, hands down. It's started to show back in the early volumes, as early as Sawamura's first game as a 1st stringer. If you remember, in that game (against Osaka's Kiryuu, afair), Miyuki didn't lead Furuya, basically leaving him on his own, and Furuya was losing a lot of points. In the dugout Sawamura immediately comes down on him, demanding he lead Furuya properly.
    M: "Why are you snapping anyway? Didn't you demand of him to switch with you just a moment earlier?"
    S: "Ah! Right!"
    And then, the brightest example is the match with Ugumori where Sawamura shouted to Furuya, "If only the coach let me, I'd go stand on that mound right away! But, unfortunately, he didn't. You know what it means, Furuya? It means that the bench believes in you!" Needless to say that everybody on the team was shocked hearing this. Just how big of a person you gotta be to say those words to your rival, with them coming from your heart... And what about Furuya? "There's no need for two pitchers on the mound", said to a person on the verge of breaking... Did he even try or just allowed himself to be petty to the end? So yeah, I respect Sawamura from the bottom of my heart while Furuya showed nothing worthy of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayhawk94 View Post
    Quick question: are some of these teams from eastern Tokyo or all from the west?
    The ones we've been shown up to vol.26 in some detail (what I mean by this is that we know a bit more about a team than just its name) are from the west (well, with the exception of Kiryuu in the fist volumes as it was from Osaka). But starting with vol.27, we'll be seeing some of the eastern teams as well (like Teitou).

Vol.27
    Last edited by TDX; 12-12-2013 at 05:30 AM.

One of The Followers

Default If I were to give my opinion

If I were to give my opinion.....I believe there are three reasons Furuya acts the way he does:
    1. He was not allowed to play little league or middle school baseball. Due to this he doesn't really pitch for the team he's just making up for all the time he didn't get to play.
    2. He's never been a part of a team so he doesn't know whats right or wrong to say in order to help the team. For example, when Sawamura gets taken off the mound he tries to support the guys on the field, but when Furuya gets taken off the mound he sits on the bench and sulks like with the Teito game.
    3. Furuya is an introvert and Sawamura is an extrovert. Furuya is quiet and less talkative on a regular basis and this type of personality isn't really good for a potential ace.

@ TDX,

You forgot to mention that Sawamura's change-up evolution to an Irregular breaking ball was the very first pitch Miyuki has to stretch for and still couldn't get it. First time ever in this manga Miyuki has trouble with a pitch I believe, just to note how big Sawamura's potential is. And the night where Kataoka calls up Sawamura with a pleasing face saying "You have finally done it" should be a sweet thing to fans as that may be an indication of things starting to roll for Sawamura.

Again for the Ace No., it's just the natural flows of things abiding to Japanese ethics' practices. You probably already realize how gratifying the team is when they play with Sawamura in oppose to Furuya so we all know who is the true Ace and again, that's very assuring to see the author closely moving towards that. Another reason is similar to most (if not all) Shounen manga, our main characters always find a way to defy the statistic or numbers that stands against them, hahah.

@ THeJayHawk94
    Again, discussing about personalities, it's not about how badly you were treated, it's more about qualities of a person. Have you ever see Furuya apologies for anything he said to others? Have you ever seen him thank Sawamura's encouragement even once? And it's much far less about inexperience communicating with people. One can always try. Sawamura was disrepectful towards Christ but then Christ became the person he respects the most later on. Past reasons is never a good excuse for behaving disgustingly. Those who don't try don't deserve sympathy, much less respect. I recognize that the author is trying to give Furuya reaonsable reasons to explain for his selfish behaviors such as not being able to play, isolated from teammates, family issues upcoming with his father, etc. However, all those were never good enough excuses for the readers to give any sympathy for this kid. So I think the author might be in a bigger bind than he planned as he developed Furuya to become too selfish and petty.

I do agree that the reasons you mentioned are potential cause to his behaviors but at the same time, I don't consider these to be even reasons at all but just excuses. If the author want to develop Furuya to become the biggest and badest rival ever for Sawamura, he should then start putting Sawamura at the center of the team more and slowly banish Furuya to a different team that can reappear and stand in Seidou's way later, he can even throw in Ouichi to coach that team to add even more spice. Because at the moment, just the thought that a great individual as Sawamura being in a same team with someone like Furuya and being compared similarly to him as a rival piss quite a bit of fans off, i think, LOL
    Last edited by godamfireV; 12-25-2013 at 12:52 AM.

One of The Followers

No I was just trying to give reasons as to why he probably won't ever have what it takes to become the ace. Even if he was able to overcome them it would be to late and Sawamura would take the ace role. I personally think that if Sawamura isn't at his best(like how he was in a slump lately) allows for Furuya to get big headed and arrogant. One thing I would to point is Furuya has only done well in practice games while the rest of the team wasn't. However when Sawamura gets better and plays during the fall tournament the rest of the team rallies and scores points. This also used to happen with the third years of Seidou would score most of their points once Sawamura enters the game and shuts down the opposite team(against Akikawa, Sensen, and Inashiro). In the end I actually believe that Seidou will win the fall tournament, Ochiai will try to leave and they will offer some sort of job to keep him on. In my opinion the assistant coach doesn't do any coaching and the woman is only good for recruiting(and it seems she only recruits one player at a time like Miyuki two years ago, Sawamura a year ago, and Yuuki's brother this year(who was probably going to go to seidou anyway))
    Last edited by TheJayhawk94; 12-01-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Page 1 of 508 1231151101501 ... LastLast