Thread: The cause of the chaos within Furuba *Spoilers*

Default The cause of the chaos within Furuba *Spoilers*

I've re-read Fruits Basket around 3 times, and on this third reading I noticed something for the first time. Akito and Shigure are the cause of just about every event in this manga. Akito's personality began to take a turn for the worse after Shigure begins to emotionally detach himself. He starts to emotionally detach himself because he wants Akito as a women, not as his God. Everything Akito does in this manga (outside of her bets with her Mother) she does to try and bring Shigure back to her. She mentions later in the manga how Shigure was the one she could never catch, she could never truly control him like she could the others.
    Once I started realizing this I noticed how many games they play with each other throughout the story. Half of the characters are just pons in this intricate game of Cat and Mouse; where both Akito and Shigure are both the cat and the mouse. If neither of these characters existed, then almost none of the events in Furuba would've unfolded so chaotically.
    Skip Beat*Red River*Rurouni Kenshin*Gakuen Alice*Fruits Basket*Beauty Pop*Kare Kano*Akagami No Shirayukihime*V.B Rose*From Far Away*Basara*Koi Dano Ai Dano*Warau Kanoko-Sama*Lover Discovery*Ao Haru Ride*Aishiteruze Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymug View Post
    I've re-read Fruits Basket around 3 times, and on this third reading I noticed something for the first time. Akito and Shigure are the cause of just about every event in this manga. Akito's personality began to take a turn for the worse after Shigure begins to emotionally detach himself. He starts to emotionally detach himself because he wants Akito as a women, not as his God. Everything Akito does in this manga (outside of her bets with her Mother) she does to try and bring Shigure back to her. She mentions later in the manga how Shigure was the one she could never catch, she could never truly control him like she could the others.
    Once I started realizing this I noticed how many games they play with each other throughout the story. Half of the characters are just pons in this intricate game of Cat and Mouse; where both Akito and Shigure are both the cat and the mouse. If neither of these characters existed, then almost none of the events in Furuba would've unfolded so chaotically.
    Oooooooooh I think Kurisuta1 is going to have A LOT of words to say against this.

Starting the Path to Legendary Kurisuta1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AkitoSohma101 View Post
    Oooooooooh I think Kurisuta1 is going to have A LOT of words to say against this.
    Against it? How so? xD

I actually wrote a big long thing mostly agreeing with. Mostly. I had a little disagreement. Not a lot. But then the internet ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by AkitoSohma101 View Post
    I'd like to hear your opinions. This was just my take from re-reading the manga several times. What do you disagree with? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisuta1 View Post
    Against it? How so? xD

I actually wrote a big long thing mostly agreeing with. Mostly. I had a little disagreement. Not a lot. But then the internet ate it.
    Really? Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to what you had to say in response
    Skip Beat*Red River*Rurouni Kenshin*Gakuen Alice*Fruits Basket*Beauty Pop*Kare Kano*Akagami No Shirayukihime*V.B Rose*From Far Away*Basara*Koi Dano Ai Dano*Warau Kanoko-Sama*Lover Discovery*Ao Haru Ride*Aishiteruze Baby

Starting the Path to Legendary Kurisuta1's Avatar

Well, I did think that there are a bit more factors contributing to events than just Shigure wanting Akito and Akito wanting Shigure.

Akito's personality really took its worse turn when her father died. Yuki himself says she wasn't so bad before then, just had a short temper now and again, but then after Akira passed that is when Akito really started abusing Yuki. Also, a really big chunk of this story is Kyo's connection to Kyoko, and Kyo's general life and attitude about himself that led to many of the things he did, truthfully had very little to do with Akito. His father, mother, the other Zodiacs and Sohma family rhetoric in general were more influential on him than Akito as an individual. Now, without Akito, after Kyo confessed to Tohru about knowing her mother, she wouldn't have been hospitalized likely. Yet, Akito going out that day to find Tohru had much more to do with Kureno and her mother than with Shigure. Akito's desire to keep the Zodiac by her side involved all of them, and while Shigure was the most infuriating and did cause her to do many of the thing she does (I'd even say he prompted the bet with her mother, since Ren had been taunting her about Shigure moving out when that happened), she held this desperate desire towards all the Zodiacs because of her relationship with her parents and because of the Curse itself.

Yet, you are right that much of the story wouldn't even have happened without Shigure pulling strings and Akito having her own motivations. Tohru would never have come to stay with the Sohmas if not for what Shigure and Akito wanted out of it. However, if her mother hadn't died she wouldn't have either...and her mother might not have died if Kyo had saved her...and Kyo's reasons had scant to do with Akito and Shigure. So, really, you could go back for miles. It would still be Kyo's fault cause the original Cat decided to visit God xD

But this whole post I was putting up counter arguments cause it seems to be what people wanted. Otherwise, I do mostly agree with you. Shigure and Akito's relationship is definitely a very strong cause for much of the story of Furuba and definitely for why so many things happen chaotically.
    Last edited by Kurisuta1; 11-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.

I agree that they play a lot of things in the background and are big movers of most the story, but I think Shigure really likes it. I think he is dark as hell. Maybe darker then Akito. He knows everything going on and tells whoever he wants about it. He is a real trickster, and way more important the one would think at first.