Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did it make you want to be a good person?

N3wb

Default Did it make you want to be a good person?

Okay, so I've been reading mangas for about five years & I'm a big shojo reader. And when I first started reading this, the beginning was very much like any other shojo manga & I thought I knew exactly where this was going. WRONG! I ended up loving this manga so much & it was beautiful written & very well done! It made me want to be a better person and be happy because Tohru was always looking at the bright side of everything. Anyone having doubts about this manga, READ IT! It will be worth it! I just loved the way the author took the time to develop the back story on these character (that's what gets me hooked on shows, books, and mangas).
    I just love this manga, worth the read!

Last edited by AVieyraChan; 08-11-2013 at 01:31 AM.

is taking the hobbits to Isengard. Miss_Haibara's Avatar

I agree. I loved all the characters in it. Even the supposed anti-hero, Akito, had a very good back story. It goes to say that you cannot really judge anyone without really looking into the reason behind their actions. The strength of Tohru was inspiring, especially because I am going through a rough time right now. I can completely relate to her mother's death and how she struggles everyday. It is amazing how she can be optimistic after all she'd been through and was still able to help others in her own way.

Starting the Path to Legendary Kurisuta1's Avatar

I'm not sure I would say it made me want to be a better person...in those exact terms...for instance I wasn't inspired by Tohru at all to always be positive and smiling and accept everyone I came across and help them. In fact, I wouldn't want to be like Tohru in that way. That's just not my personality and it would be weird if it was...and like Hana-chan said to Tohru, that kind of lifestyle and attitude can get you crushed and I think most people it would - we can't all be Tohru's in this world :/

But Fruits Basket definitely made me a better person. The characters have really helped me see myself better and grow as a person, especially Yuki and Machi and a little bit of Kyo. Just a little bit in everyone in fact. There is always something in there I can relate to on a very personal level and I feel like I can recognize and go along similar emotional journeys as them. In Yuki most recently I've felt a kindred spirit and his words and actions always reinforced in me what I was already feeling stirring inside - seeing his dedication and steps towards bettering himself encouraged me to continue on that same path, especially because he was feeling the same things as me and confronting similar struggles.

In addition to that, a lot of the lessons and sort "philosophies" in Furuba and behind the story thematically as a whole are something that stick with me and definitely influence the way I approach the world. I find myself all the time thinking of a little quote from Fruits Basket when faced with a certain situation, or thinking of what the story has to say about life and relationships overall when forming my own opinions about them.

Fruits Basket is pretty much my go-to for almost any problem or situation, positive or negative, that I'm not sure how to handle completely on my own. I wouldn't say it made me want to be a better person as much as it made me grow into the person that I am, who I do believe in always getting "better". Everything about it has impacted me as a person, made me who I am, brought out who I am even stronger, and continues to this day to help me along in life I'm so, indescribably grateful for this series in my life.

I'm not directly inspired by Tohru, but I am affected by her. Weird as it sounds because she's a fictional character, what struck me most wasn't exactly her personality, but the advice given to her by Kyo and Hana, stuff about it's okay for her to be sad and selfish once in a while. And I find her struggle to accept the changes in her also to be greatly inspiring. Personally, the character I can relate most to is Yuki. I had a hard time accepting him at first, because reading about him made me realize my own flaws and shortcomings. But I gradually came to really love him as a character after he took great efforts to turn himself into a better person. In turn, it also inspired me to try to become a better person too. Other than Yuki, I also can relate well with Machi, sometimes with Hiro and Kyo, and I think there are some other characters as well but I can't seem to remember lol.
    To answer your question though: yes, Furuba does make me want to become a better person. It's a manga that I always come back to no matter how many years have passed since the first time I read it. I even remember the lines that impacted me most by heart ^^;

... I want to become a cheese burger .

After reading fruits basket, I think I matured a lot. Fruits basket has no fixed point of view, so we get a glimpse into everyone's thoughts. Because of that, I am now able to understand how people might have felt a lot better than before. However, i think Fruits Basket also opened my eyes to a lot of flaws we humans have, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Overall though, I think this story helped me to become a littler stronger and a little braver.

I see that everyone has mentioned Tohru.... Like Kurisuta1 said, I wouldn't want to be like Tohru. If I had Tohru's personality, I would definitely be crushed. I can't handle it, stress or pressure, and for me to try to always look on the bright side or constantly help others, I can't do it. I'll probably get tired real fast and quit. I guess that makes Tohru all the more admirable.

Fruits basket is one of those manga that brought a lot of emotion with it. Probably, not her behavior but the kinds of situations that surrounded the characters just made me think a bit. Just as these characters had issues among themselves, outside in our daily lives we come across people maybe in school, by the streets, etc who also have hard times. I think I started to stop being so selfish about my own feelings because of this manga.

nah not really. I like being a selfish person. But, it did teach me a couple of smiling techniques that may allow me to get away with stuff.

EDIT:
    I didn't really connect personally with anyone, as I am the type who really just shows emotions when i need to, act spoiled when I want to, and give selfish commands at my whims...... However, the characters moved me and made me have more faith in humanity. Seriously.
    Last edited by Moonmystery; 09-30-2013 at 02:09 AM.

A Page Flipper

Yes it really make me want to grow as a person sometimes i read and said i today i will be positive like tohru, or took the competitive side of kyo, i want to have fun like a chid like momiji or want to give a good advice at someone like shigure does, love selfish less like hatori and fight for what you want like kagura imean that just in their personalities and also are circunstances in the manga that could apply like frienship, love with intensity, respect your parents, never give up , and i could go on, i mean this manga has to many teachings that could apply in your daily life to make you grow a better person thats for sure.
    Last edited by matilda8; 10-05-2013 at 01:30 AM.

No, because I read this when I was like 8. (I was a stupid child).

One of The Followers

For the past 10 years and even now, my life resembles the Cat's life. It is lucky how he managed to find someone to pull him out of his quagmire. I'm already locked in the cage.

But I love this manga. I'm glad I re-read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast