Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rinnegan's ability to absorb ninjutsu

Level One Otaku

Default The Rinnegan's ability to absorb ninjutsu

Obviously Nagato and Madara have used this ability to absorb numerous ninjutsu attacks, but from Nagato's application of it during his Edotensei battle with Naruto and Bee we can see that it can also be used to absorb plainly chakra. This leads me to think that the ability is entirely just absorbing chakra, and this makes me consider that perhaps the Rinnegan cannot absorb all ninjutsu, but merely all ninjutsu that consists of solely chakra?

As an example, consider someone was battling a Rinnegan user and used the Suiryuudan no Jutsu when there is no water around, creating the water dragon bullet purely from his own chakra; I think there's no doubting that the Rinnegan user would easily be able to absorb the entirety of this attack. But if that person had used the Suiryuudan no Jutsu when there was a substantial water supply around only using chakra to change the water's form, would a Rinnegan user be able to absorb that jutsu, even though the bulk of the jutsu is made of natural substance and not chakra at all? Or perhaps they would be able to absorb only the chakra-part of the jutsu that contains its form, and consequently make the jutsu less lethal? If they could absorb the substance, then why do they not simply apply 'absorbing substance' as an attack?

It's perhaps a long shot, but it's an idea I've been interested in lately, what are your thoughts?

The TYPE-MOON Fanboy is back TomPen94's Avatar

In a way, using chakra is a form of Ninjutsu. So anything that uses chakra would be absorbed by this ability.

Or maybe Kishi f*cked up again...

The Original Mangaka StriderZero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    In a way, using chakra is a form of Ninjutsu. So anything that uses chakra would be absorbed by this ability.

Or maybe Kishi f*cked up again...
    So Genjutsu and enhanced Taijutsu don't use Chakra then...

Quote Originally Posted by StriderZero View Post

That leaves the second option then...

A Page Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by StriderZero View Post

Well, genjutsu controls one's chakra, and taijutsu solely relies on physical energy, so rinnegan can't absorb them. Plus, we know rinnegan can't absorb jiraiya's frog genjutsu, so I assume all genjutsu apcannot be absorbed

I think it will absorb the water Justu in the sense that the Jutsu is not water itself but a transform water with a form and offensive power. The rinnegan will remove the form and the offense and the natural water will disperse and become useless.

I think this has been debated before... Jiraiya's fight with Pain displays that substance can be absorbed:

http://mangafox.me/manga/naruto/v41/c377/7.html
    http://mangafox.me/manga/naruto/v41/c377/8.html
    http://mangafox.me/manga/naruto/v41/c377/9.html
    http://mangafox.me/manga/naruto/v41/c377/10.html

Sorry for the links... I don't know how to insert spoiler tags...

Level One Otaku

Quote Originally Posted by Siegriel View Post
    I think this has been debated before... Jiraiya's fight with Pain displays that substance can be absorbed:

Sorry for the links... I don't know how to insert spoiler tags...
    I disagree. The Bath of Boiling Oil is water, oil and flames, all of which created from the collective sage chakra of Jiraiya and the two sages. The water, oil and flames are created from chakra that the three of them have accumulated. If they were to replicate the jutsu in the unlikely event that there was already that scale of water, oil and fire around them, and only used their chakra to change the form, I don't think the entire jutsu would have been absorbed.

Then again, you could argue that the sage jutsu is made from nature chakra to begin with, and if nature chakra doesn't follow similar rules to regular chakra then it's entirely subjective.

I'm more confused as to why Nagato used Shinra Tensei to free himself from Itachi's Amaterasu instead of using Preta Path to absorb it.
    Whenever a new chapter comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by uber_shnitz View Post
    I'm more confused as to why Nagato used Shinra Tensei to free himself from Itachi's Amaterasu instead of using Preta Path to absorb it.
    Apparently Amaterasu isn't chakra, but real fire, just black and a lot hotter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast