Thread: Similar to Hyouka?

N3wb

Default Similar to Hyouka?

I just finished first three chapters of Iris Zero and felt that the plot is similar to Hyouka especially the protagonists. Toru is similar to Houtarou as one doesnt wanna stand out and the other wants to conserve energy. Koyuki and Chitanda Eru are the curious types who keep relying on the male counter parts to be helped in solving psychological mysteries.
    Thoughts?

Mmm,, i think nope... Because
    1 Houtarou's simply saving his energy asform he hates to work more. But Toru's not like that.
    2 Chitanda on hyouka shows curiousity, but koyuki shows affection and care more.
    The biggest one's their plot and the story's genre maybe
    Last edited by Sylphermizt; 05-04-2013 at 04:55 AM.

One of The Followers

Now that you bring it up, they are kinda similar. Though lately, in general I've noticed a bit of a rising trend in mystery plots featuring a non-social yet surprisingly perceptive male (Shindere Shoujo to Kodoku na Shinigami being at least one other recent example off the top of my head). Given, the Hyouka novels have been running for well over a decade now, but if there are any similarities outside of the genre, I'd say they're all merely a coincidence.

Aside from the supernatural element involving the Irises, I think one of the most notable differences between Hyouka and Iris Zero is how tense the main characters' relationship is: Tooru actually tells Koyuki off on multiple occasions (meanwhile, no matter how obnoxiously persistent she gets, Houtarou never once snaps at Eru so far as I recall, at least in the anime adaption; likewise, while Eru's been shown to have outbursts, they've only been targeted at other people). In fact, the mains' very first encounter in Iris Zero basically lead to a period of several days with Tooru attempting to outright ignore Koyuki, never breaking down to help her out until the very last minute (in contrast, Eru's curiosity about the locked door seems to have been satiated in a matter of minutes). I guess a lot of this could be attributed to each male lead's respective pasts; Houtarou's really just a lazyass in the end. At worst, all he has to deal with are the whims of his older sister. Tooru, on the other hand, could barely give a shit about others because he'd been outright traumatized by "normal" people in his childhood, and continues to deal with prejudices aimed against him even now.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, Sylphermizt, put that image in a spoiler tag or something, will ya? I shouldn't have to scroll through a whole screen just to get past someone's signature.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 05-04-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Now that you bring it up, they are kinda similar. Though lately, in general I've noticed a bit of a rising trend in mystery plots featuring a non-social yet surprisingly perceptive male (Shindere Shoujo to Kodoku na Shinigami being at least one other recent example off the top of my head). Given, the Hyouka novels have been running for well over a decade now, but if there are any similarities outside of the genre, I'd say they're all merely a coincidence.

Aside from the supernatural element involving the Irises, I think one of the most notable differences between Hyouka and Iris Zero is how tense the main characters' relationship is: Tooru actually tells Koyuki off on multiple occasions (meanwhile, no matter how obnoxiously persistent she gets, Houtarou never once snaps at Eru so far as I recall, at least in the anime adaption; likewise, while Eru's been shown to have outbursts, they've only been targeted at other people). In fact, the mains' very first encounter in Iris Zero basically lead to a period of several days with Tooru attempting to outright ignore Koyuki, never breaking down to help her out until the very last minute (in contrast, Eru's curiosity about the locked door seems to have been satiated in a matter of minutes). I guess a lot of this could be attributed to each male lead's respective pasts; Houtarou's really just a lazyass in the end. At worst, all he has to deal with are the whims of his older sister. Tooru, on the other hand, could barely give a shit about others because he'd been outright traumatized by "normal" people in his childhood, and continues to deal with prejudices aimed against him even now.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, Sylphermizt, put that image in a spoiler tag or something, will ya? I shouldn't have to scroll through a whole screen just to get past someone's signature.
    Lol, okayokay, thanks! I kinda new here so i still dont understand much. Sorry :(

N3wb

Arigato Yamato san. Your post made perfect sense as I read more of the manga.

N3wb

Seeing Yamato-san basically explains why these two series are different, but I really can't deny the fact that I'm thinking what the OP is thinking as well, considering Iris Zero and Hyouka are two of my favourite series. I also agree that I've seen an uncanny resemblance between Houtarou and Toru.

The resemblance I see from Oreki and Toru is that they are well aware of their standing in life, and accept it wholly. I like characters like that - those who actually don't lie to themselves or delude themselves and would prefer to do things at their own pace. They're also more of the asocial type of characters, and they don't enforce any of their wills and ideals to anyone around them. They also like to help people through their own decisions and are the type who don't need a reward to satisfy themselves afterwards. I like them because they can support themselves even when the world and their friends are against them. But contrary to that, the people who become Oreki and Toru's friends are the loyal ones who stick with them by their friends' own accord.

These 'asocial' type of characters are my favourite because they never seem to create a bad influence to other people. Oreki knows he's lazy, and Toru likes to shut himself away from society, but they know their imperfections so well that they don't cause others to feel what they feel. Well-grounded characters like these are just a breath of fresh air.

A Page Flipper

Even through I like both I still disagree of what you are saying
    First of all This manga came up Before "Hyouka" did, And this manga has some Love in it, Not unlike hyouka that focused more on Mystery no Love seen between the two main characters

Toru doesnt saves Energy like Houtarou does, He just doesnt want to be notice because he's an Iris Zero and inconsiderate Assholes and bitches tease him A LOT. (Not Caring and Not wanting to be notice is a different thing)

and Chitanda is more focused on Curiosity but Koyuki is more focused on Love.

One of The Followers

Quote Originally Posted by Delta13 View Post
    Even through I like both I still disagree of what you are saying
    First of all This manga came up Before "Hyouka" did, And this manga has some Love in it, Not unlike hyouka that focused more on Mystery no Love seen between the two main characters

Toru doesnt saves Energy like Houtarou does, He just doesnt want to be notice because he's an Iris Zero and inconsiderate Assholes and bitches tease him A LOT. (Not Caring and Not wanting to be notice is a different thing)

and Chitanda is more focused on Curiosity but Koyuki is more focused on Love.
    read my post. The Hyouka anime is very recent, true, but it was based off of a novel series, the first volume of which (to save you a trip to Wikipedia) came out way back in 2001. Regardless of which came first, I don't see either series influencing one-another; they just happen to follow a similar format. Also, I don't know where you get the idea that Koyuki's focused on love whereas Eru isn't. Both series suggest that the male and female leads develop feelings for one another over time. What does set them apart, though, is that Eru's often interested merely in satiating her own curiosity with what is ultimately a trivial concern (with some exceptions, ex. End Roll of the Fool), whereas Koyuki needs help with solving some more serious issues (selecting a student council president, preventing her friend from facing suspension, etc.). I think the closest Iris Zero ever came to that was the out-of-order toilet mystery, but even that was somewhat crucial since it was preventing a superstitious Asahi from going to the bathroom (and Tooru seriously wouldn't have even bothered if not for the fact that Asahi pissing herself would draw attention). Though, I could see you misinterpreting Koyuki as being love-focused because, unlike Hyouka, the main characters' relationship is actually growing to be a central plot point (or at least it was before the manga went on hiatus).
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 05-16-2013 at 12:12 AM.

the plot and characters may be kinda like hyouka..
    main hero has hi level intelect but won't use it coz then it'll make them standout..(tho oreki's just lazy while tooru's coz his life depends on it.. )
    sidekicks knows wht the main hero's capable of..and provides them with their utmost support, while secretly annnoyed coz of the heroes hi skill but lack motivations..i think the sidekicks the happiest to see that appearance of heroines to bring up the heroes utmost skill..knowing that they cant..LOL
    the heroines are both annoying..in a good way, of course..
    etc..

tho i think, rather than oreki, tooru's more like hikki from yahari oregairu..in terms of skill..
    in coz they both got their skill from countless simulation (in their heads) for their survival in life....while oreki's a holmes dude..he's deducting according to proof..wht i'm saying is..dudes like hikki or tooru's greater at preventing while dudes like oreki's greater at solving..it's proly kinda like csi and criminal minds approach..
    -- PROUD MEMBER OF SES --

N3wb

I thinks its not. The protagonist is the same but not the story. Lol.