Thread: Logistical Questions about SAO

N3wb

Default Logistical Questions about SAO

Hey there! I'm actually pretty new to Anime but I watched Sword Art Online this fall and it is probably my new favorite, competing with FMA. I just had some questions about the universe that are maybe talked about in the Light Novels which I haven't read yet. Maybe some genius knows the answers to these!

1) Are there any non-Japanese players? Meaning, are there players from other countries (I would think so... Klein sounds German after all), and if so, how did they acquire the game at the same time as its Japanese release?

2) How did distribution of the game work? In the beginning of the anime, the woman says online copies were immediately sold out... does this mean people downloaded the game onto the NerveGear or bought all online copies after they were first available for preorder? She also says "hardcore gamers" bought all the store copies and waited in line. 10,000 sounds like a relatively small number for such a seemingly anticipated launch. Was there only a limited release at first?

3) Though players could not log out of the game, could new players log in at any time (and then be subject to the same no-logout rule)? Maybe all other copies of the game were confiscated or something...?

EDIT 4) When was the NerveGear released?

Anyway, appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by Lt_Herburger; 03-06-2013 at 04:07 AM.

One of The Followers

The only non-japanese player we know of is Agil, but he lives in Japan. Only Japanese players have the game.

The game is an actual physical copy that has to be bought. There were only 10,000 copies because that's how kayabe designed the release when he decided to trap all the players within.

Technically any on from the outside could log in to the game if they had a copy. But the narrative assumes all 10,000 copies were used on launch day.

N3wb

Great to know, thanks!

Laharl embarrassing photo danjek2003's Avatar
    Netherworlds (Hunted by King Laharl) Bounties 1.000.000.000 HL

actually I find some holes in the story.
    After the SAO incident, I think people gonna distrust nervegear, so why people still playing with nervegear?
    I mean, 4000 people die in game, and 6000 are in coma.

Even the nervegear supported by the goverment, that's just impossible, media gonna blow out this accident.

One of The Followers

Quote Originally Posted by danjek2003 View Post
    actually I find some holes in the story.
    After the SAO incident, I think people gonna distrust nervegear, so why people still playing with nervegear?
    I mean, 4000 people die in game, and 6000 are in coma.

Even the nervegear supported by the goverment, that's just impossible, media gonna blow out this accident.
    No one uses the nerve gear after the SAO incident except for kirito during the ALO incident. The entire technology is almost scrapped until about a year into the incident. Then another company comes out with the Amusphere a new fulldive device that makes the circumstances of the SAO incident impossible. The device no longer contains a giant battery or anything else capable of creating a pulse strong enough to destroy the brain. Also the device does not have total sensory blockage. You can still feel outside stimuli and if it's strong enough knocks you out of the dive. If your heart rate gets too high you go out of fulldive.

1. So far, the only known foreign player was Agil (though, i think he's pretty much a japanese by now..)..the game was only introduced in Japan so we can assume that only Japanese player have the game.
    2. well, pretty much like any game would be bought. As seen in the ALO anime (!!spoiler alert!!)..the game was actually a disk, right..?
    3. pretty much yes. though having no more copies of the said game (as they were sold out at the launch date..), people were probably unable to log-in to help inside the game due to that..also, who'd want to go under a "no log-out/game-over means death" game anyway, right..?.. ..
    4. According to my reading, the Nerve Gear was actually developed earlier in the past..proof of this was Kirito saying that he had "dived" or played games that were virtual reality in nature, but was unlike SAO, where you can only see your hands like a first-person view. because SAO was the first(?) MMORPG created, ever..(i think..hehehe..)..also, another reason is after its invention, it was first designed for diving into a virtual world, that's all. it was released for commercial use because of its unique functionality where you can dive into a virtual world, where you can socialize, have business meetings, private talks..etc. it was only later on that they created a game for it, where you can actually play an MMORPG...

..i dont really have much confidence in my answer, so just correct me if i'm wrong here..hahaha.. ..

..i hope it helped.. ..
    "..For behind every lie, there's truth. And in every truth comes pain.."

One of The Followers

The nervegear came out in May 2022, SAO was released in november 2022.

Of course if you want more info in the Nerve gear and such read Accel World it's by the same author. and takes place some time later in the same world infact in a side story Kirito and Silver Crow in Accel world duke it out.

One of The Followers

The later volumes of SAO have more to do with AW technology than what's been translated as of yet.