Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the smartest girl in this manga?

Default Who is the smartest girl in this manga?

Instead of discussing the outward appearances as other threads do, I think it might be kind of interesting to discuss the intelligence level of our favorite girls, weather they be human, goddess, or devils, and this can also include minor characters as well.

This will be a bit deeper than the typical "who is the cutest/prettiest" thread, because high intelligence can take more than one form, and isn't something you can imediately see at first glance. There's book smart, street smart, and a little in between. In fact a character can appear to be a bumbling idiot in most cases, but has one or two things they excell at, that no other character can match. One example is Elsie. She's often pretty absent minded and quite naive, but she was the only girl who knew every one of Kanon's songs and routines, and could fill in for her after she was stabbed, and did a fairly decent job of it. Plus she did this along with practicing with the 2-B pencils at the same time. I'm not saying Elsie is the smartest, but characters in this manga can surprise you with how much they really know.

I think this could be an interesting topic, because unlike most manga that have the one token nerdy smart chick, while the rest of the girls are pretty but quite shallow, this manga is chock full of chicks that not only have pretty faces, but have a fare amount of brain power and intricate thought patterns as well. Plus the smart girls can be the most entertaining, because they provide the mental challenge that keeps our main character from figuring things out too easily, as well as getting him off balance, and forcing him in situations where he has to develope mentally and emotionally. Let's hear it for the smart girls for a change!

My personal choice for the smartest girl is Dokurou Skull. To trick the God of Conquest into accepting a contract where he has to do the very thing he's most against, that goes against his deepest principals takes a monumental amount of smarts and whit. Runner ups are Nikaido, Akari, Chihiro, and after her recient revelations, possibly Tenri. Tenri seems to know alot more than she's letting on.

So who are your favorites and runner ups for the smartest girl in TWGOK?

Hum, hard choice.. Most of them are smart in their own way, but few of them had chances to show how much..

Like Dokuro, Akari and Nikaido who are pulling the strings, so they could rival Keima's intellect or just be an (above)average person but holding crucial pieces of informations (Like Tenri seems to be IMO)..

Or Lune who so far didn't put a real effort towards something, but even so did good job, so she becoming motivated would be promising.

Yui was doing good after her arc, but lost credibility after getting friend-zoned like that shsauhsauas

But as the persons above are incognitos for me, my choices are:
    Nora, Chihiro and Haqua. Each one in their own areas..

And, at least for now, I would crown Nora as the smartest as she is smart in more senses.

Though the three of them gave bad impressions on this area at first rsrsrsrsrssrsrssrs
    Last edited by RennanNT; 02-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Has a Few Faves

The girl with the most book smarts would probably be Haqua.

Lune has a very strong intuition.

The girl who has demonstrated the most analytical ability would be Diana. It was her ability to think many moves ahead that allowed her to deflate Keima of all people at shogi.

The girl who has demonstrated the greatest amount of political skill is Nora. After all, she was able to take all of the credit for defeating Vintage, even though she only participated towards the end.

I agree that Akari's ability to know everything in advance and to pull all those strings to ensure everything is arranged perfectly is impressive, but it's probably drawn from future knowledge/sight, not some sort of impossibly accurate analytical ability. Same goes for Tenri.

And I'm sure Dokuro is clever, but I don't think we've had nearly enough info to call her the smartest girl yet. Tricking Keima into joining the Runaway Spirit Squad wasn't that hard.

Oh, I like this one!

Akari, Dokurou, Nikaido, to me, are discounted as they are higher ups and will more than likely have access to far more information, plus we know very little of either in their roles. Goddesses, aswell to me, are discounted as they are... well... goddesses. In a way, I'd want to discount all demons, simply from their very long lives, but since they act like the age they look, I will include. :P. Tenri falls under the category of Akari and co. Particularly to me, she doesn't seem intelligent, but merely informed with an open mind to take it all.

A few notables before going in with the runner ups and winner: Yui has atleast tried her brain at things, with her latest attempt with Keima, whilst ultimately failing in a hilarious manner, did look good up to that point. In pure intelligence under stress, Kanon ranks high. I'd die trying to do what she does AND school (which she is succeeding in too...) In terms of the other goddess hosts: Tsukiyo knows her moons... and doll... I think. Not so sure about her. She was tougher to conquer. Ayumi's certainly not stupid, infact she has intelligence when applied, but seems to lack the final push. Well rounded girl tho, intelligence wise.

Runner's up:
    Lune: Very intelligent whilst also lazy. I'd want to see more of her in action to see her rise up.
    Miyako: Our dear backround character that keeps popping up seems intelligent in the conventional sense. She goes to cram school and gets results.
    Nora: Very intelligent and calm, but let's be fair, she keeps herself detached to do it. Mighty asset, but not the de facto for me.
    Chihiro: Our average girl seems to have more than anyone in the cast of Emotional Intelligence. Her iq may be average like, but she seems very able in her own right, which is impressive under the circumstances. However, I'd like to see more of that to ensure that her episode with Keima and Ayumi wasn't a fluke.
    Shiori: (knew I'd forgotten someone important!) Somewhat similar to Keima in the way that her life is completely about books, her ability to memorise what is written is impressive and funny. What needs to be seen is if she is able to apply any of it, or else she remains a little low on this chart.

Winner:
    Haqua.
    Not my favourite character by a margin (tho not much to dislike either), she earns this place. Her iq was never in doubt, she is a genius in her own right. Atleast back in her training days. In the manga, we've been presented time and time again with her problem solving and knowing how to get things done. Obviously, not the level of Keima, but certainly well above average in all departments. Where Nora is intelligent and politically savvy, Haqua has a firm grasp on everything from said things, to emotional situations, fighting and adapting to human life. If Haqua ain't first on any list, she's generally second. But, in fairness, she's also one that's been allowed to demonstrate this over and over.

Those are my views anyways. Elsie's not mentioned simply because, to me, she was not a contestant. She's not stupid, infact she's quite capable in many respects, but is a little air-headed. Still adorable tho.
    Last edited by McDreich; 02-25-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Forgot Shiori
    This is a sig.

Fav anime/manga plus pairings:
    WORKING!! - SoutaxInami. SatoxYachiyo.
    The World God Only Knows - KeimaxChihiro.
    AnoHana - Well, the pairings happened anyway. Sad sad story.

Fav Characters: Keima Katsuragi. Chihiro Kosaka. Souta Takanawa. Mahiru Inami. Elsie. Shikamaru Nara. Popura Taneshima.
    It's not really in any particular order... and I'm sure I have atleast one name wrong :P

A Hidden Hikikomori

At last, an intelligent question...! I salute you for thinking of it and thank you for asking it.

There are four different groups to consider (goddesses, devils, target girls and adults) and also different types of intelligence to consider.

There is factual intelligence (raw data) emotional intelligence (understanding and relating to people) perception (street smarts) and logic.

Diana seems to be the most intelligent of the goddesses, except that her emotionality sometimes gets in the way. (She was upset on learning that Keima had to kiss other girls, got angry at him in the shogi match and allowed her feelings of guilt to get in the way of letting her wings work. They were there -- shown in a momentary appearance after rescuing Keima & Haqua from Fiore -- but she couldn't bring them out on her own. It took an insight from Tenri. )

Shiori/Minerva has the factual part down, on sheer volume of information. But Minerva is an inexperienced child (compared to the other goddesses.) I suspect it takes them ages to mature, just like Elsee is 300+ years old but immature emotionally.

Mercury seems more emotionally mature (calm) than the others ones, but we don't know her nearly as well. She has studied people a lot (alluded to in her inner dialogues with Ayumi) so she seems scholarly. But that's an inference, not a proven fact.

Akari was able to hold her own in a debate with Keima, and even to point out a few things he didn't seem to have considered. She's way up there in the rankings. Haqua may be a valedictorian, but that's book-smart. Others have commented on the fact that she's foolishly honest. So she's not street smart.

Elsee has some surprising skills. She did a good job filling in for Kanon. She had all the songs memorized. I infer that she has a lot of data on fire trucks memorized, and so Elsee is probably capable of some intellectual feats that might surprise us. The deciding factor is her general immaturity/ experience level and lack of motivation. She could do better if she buckled down and tried harder. (Elsee is very loyal, second to none in that regard, but mostly wants to be entertained.)

Nora has good overall stats. She is lazy and doesn't like to think deeply, as she herself stated. But when the facts are at her disposal, she is able to deduce things (Sharia's involvement) and she is far more street smart than Haqua. (In fact, Nora, Haqua and Elsee together would make an almost unbeatable team.)

I'm not impressed by Lune. Too lazy, a trait she shares with Nora. But she was able to spot the inconsistencies in Haqua's records with little difficulty, so maybe Lune's not dumb. Or maybe Haqua was just too foolishly honest to cover her traces.

Of the target girls (non-goddess hosts) Nanaka is the only one with much strategizing ability (despite what was said about Ayumi in manipulating Keima and Chihiro to work together.) Mostly, the neuroses they have (the gaps, if you will, which Keima helps to resolve after winning their trust with love) are not marks of logical thought processes.

Chihiro has a better combination of emotional intelligence and perceptivity than most. (An excellent balance to Keima, who neglects individual examples in is attempts to understand the heart, and tries to rely solely on logic and facts.) And her skill at music composition in writing the original song is a type of skill the others have not shown. (IDK if Kanon writes her own songs or not; she may have others to write the lyrics.)

Of the adults (Jun, Hinoki, Mari, Nikaidou) Nikaidou has the most practice in trying to teach others. She understands the learning process. The others (Yui's mother, the various chauffers, Uruara's grandpa) we don't have enough data on. Oh, I would include Kanon's manager, but mostly because I think she's hot and I like her. She must be at least fairly competent in a business sense to be able to manage Kanon's career.

Yuukie, Hauqa's partner, has maturity, and this is not to be sneezed at. It says something when she is able to get out four spirits in a week, through hard work and persistence! Even the famous inventor Thomas Edison, largely regarded as brilliant said his success was "1% inspiration, 99% perspiration." She is wise in experience and understanding people in a way that none of the youngsters are.

That's what I've got for the intelligence of the girls. Even Keima's own intelligence is not as great as it seems or as great as it could be. He doesn't use his 'intelligence' intelligently...!

It's partly his blind spots, which are massive (Looking at eveything from a game perspective.) Keima may indeed turn out to be somewhat of a savant-syndrome. He is good at finding routes, but they don't apply to everything. (As Chihiro pointed out, you on't need a reason to like someone.)

I'm eager to see what everybody else thinks.

Has a Few Faves

Quote Originally Posted by FROM1toN View Post
    I'm not impressed by Lune. Too lazy, a trait she shares with Nora. But she was able to spot the inconsistencies in Haqua's records with little difficulty, so maybe Lune's not dumb. Or maybe Haqua was just too foolishly honest to cover her traces.
    That wasn't a case of being foolishly honest. Haqua specifically overwrote the true logs with false records to try to prevent that from happening. The reason it failed is because deleted/overwritten data can be recovered from Celestial Robes in the same way humans can do so with hard drives.

Thus, while she didn't have enough time to examine it all, Lune was able to analyze enough to figure out what Keima was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FROM1toN View Post
    (As Chihiro pointed out, you on't need a reason to like someone.)
    Well, technically, from a purely logical (if cynical) point of view, everything has a reason, even if that reason is as simple as a flow of chemicals in the brain. Passon doesn't last forever. Love without reasons to keep two people tied together can be a little dangerous.

A Hidden Hikikomori

Yes, ManaCaster, you are correct. I forgot about how Haqua wrote fake logs.

But to your second point, I say: Not cynical enough. If love is just chemicals, then so is all thought, and logic itself is meaningless coincidence.

I forgot to mention, another example of Chihiro's ability to relate and understand people on an emotional level: when she betrayed Keima's gaming of Ayumi, she risked sacrificing her friendship with Ayumi in order to further Keima's goals, knowing that it would resolve Ayumi's conflict over whether to respond to Keima due to guilt for leading Chihiro to be hurt. That part is loyalty to Keima, but I'm impressed that she would be able to reason out the flaw in his route and provide him with another one.

I wonder... perhaps it can be said that Keima has worked for years and tries very hard to do on a logical basis what girls do effortlessly and automatically on an emotional basis -- understand other people and relate to them.
    Last edited by FROM1toN; 02-25-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Wow, such great development in such a short time ! It took me quite a while to read and think about all the posts so far, since they are all insightful in their own ways. I think I'll reflect on them later on, since I also want to join in and state my grounds (I hope I'm not too late).

As much as I enjoy the topic, I find it really hard to finally decide a final answer, because the topic is so broad ! There are so many scales of smartness that any possible heroines out there can be superior - the only major difference is the context that we are talking about. Hence, I'll narrow my opinions down to the category: "situational intelligence". And in this standard, our favourite girl of discussion arises once again: Chihiro Kosaka.

As for me, throughout the manga, she has proven herself to be one of the smartest in almost every situations that she's in, regardless of being rationally or irrationally smart. There are some certain points that to me are quite obvious, and also partially discussed in the past, such as her actions in Ayumi's reconquest. So in this post I'll try and approach from another angle, which might be more interesting to read.

Let's start with normal contexts, like Chihiro's initial impression of Keima. Now, you might think it's just a common stigma that everybody has formed towards Keima, but I sense something more within. She actually reasoned, which is surprising for somebody who reads Girls' Magazine. To me, she's sharp simply by thinking critically in just normal contexts like that.

Furthermore, there are evidences that simply explain why she is the leader of 2B Pencils - it's both her soundness and dedication ("If we're doing this, let's do this with our heart!") that give her that position, even if it's only among rather irrational girls like Elsie or Ayumi.

In terms of being flexible to the situations, I think we have more than enough for that. For instance, let's look at her reaction after being rejected and seen by Keima & Elsie. Normally, I would expect girls to be somewhat closed in their love life, or at least mutually open to their best friends, and it's more likely so if that's a failed confession. However, Chihiro chose a different pattern, and she actually admitted it. I think she's really smart in understanding her positions in people's eyes.

Chihiro's behaviour during Ayumi's reconquest is another strong evidence, which is somewhat obvious so I would not elaborate it in particular detail: it shows both her flexibility (partially understanding what's going on and regarding her as an outsider requesting for unnecessary protection), her intuition (carried out her own plan - it worked !).

Her decision to carry out the performance with just merely 2 people might actually be considered as well, since it shows her sound mind of adapting to the situation when they are expected by lots of students.

Chihiro is smart in her "conquest methods" as well ! In her reconquest, even in extreme situations where Keima questioned Chihiro's love, I can still sense some intelligence in her actions. I think Chihiro understood Keima's doubts, and that was the reason why she decided to take the lead afterwards. She was smart in a sense that she realized her love was drifting away. Yes, those behaviour were filled with emotions. But I think it's more than that - it's her intuition telling her what actions should be taken in order to "win", not "be won".

Although that being said, other girls are also intelligent in their own way as well, as previous posts have mentioned. Chihiro may just simply come to the top in my list because she's one of the heroines that appear the most throughout TWGOK. (Other heroines that I also like in this context are Elsie (yay!), Tenri, Haqua, Akari (& Nikkaidou) and Nora, by the way. I want to elaborate them, but this post is getting really long...). But I tried to equalize the unbalanced scale between heroines and I finally came up with this answer. I welcome supports, challenges and fresh new ideas alike.

Side note: If Keima The Cross-dresser can be legitimately a heroine, "she" would be one of my most competitive candidates.
    Last edited by D47.Biryu; 02-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    "An imperfect reality, a perfect game." - Keima Katsuragi

For The Oath Sworn Through Courage And Love! genesic123's Avatar

Attention

What!No mention of Fiore!

Oh come on!she had many good examples on her side.

In the Hinoki arc.She was able to hurt her so effectively to bring out the old hellian weiss with the right choice of words.
    There was a reason why she stalked her prey.To examine and anayse the most effective move to attack.

The kanon stab scene.Finally an anime /manga villan who knows how to get to the point!One swift decisive blow unlike some long winded battle in shonen jump.
    She failed ,but she had the right approach and anyone in fiore's shoes would have concluded that the job was done at that time.

She had the intelligence to double back,It was her undoing,but to be unfazed by a "grope" scene showed how focused she was,She was more "cool" that the others.She was probably thinking that it was a guy thing.

She even had some guts,to even try to strip to phase" team keima".

In any other anime or manga she would be considered a uber genius level character who proved her abilities.
    Too bad in TWGOK the good guys are just too legitamately good.

Last edited by genesic123; 02-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Vintage...Did you forget?....Victory goes to....THOSE WITH LOVE!

''I have an ideal!an ideal that will pierce through reality!''

Quote Originally Posted by genesic123 View Post
    What!No mention of Fiore!

Oh come on!she had many good examples on her side.
    I agree she did great at Hinoki's arc, but she has bad examples too, like:

- She shot against a armored glass (Kanon is a idol, so its easy to be predict the building having a very good security).
    - She appeared with that highly suspicious attire in where Kanon could see, throwing away the surprise factor (her lucky was her target being Apollo) - not mentioning that Apollo could alert another goddess to make an ambush.
    - She panicked because of the symbol at the sky and forgot the goddess sensor there.
    - She lost to her greed, not only trying to kill when she was supposed to confine them, she also didn't reported anything.
    - She attacked in an open area during the day with her face and hagoromo visible, which already isn't smart, and still wasn't ready at all for others coming after her (a human witness would be enough to reveal the culprit and obviously the other goddesses would be aware of what happened and where).

So, she is basically the same type of smart than Haqua, and after "Ryuu afterwards" (putting him alone to attack Nora) nobody would dare to say she wins over Haqua.

She had the intelligence to double back,It was her undoing,but to be unfazed by a "grope" scene showed how focused she was,She was more "cool" that the others.She was probably thinking that it was a guy thing.
    Nora was the one being sexually harassed and Haqua is in love with the harasser and has strong reasons to be pissed about his sudden love for big boobs, and the sensor was way more important to Fiore than whatever a "low life" does to a "improper devil"..
    Last edited by RennanNT; 02-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast