Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 148

Thread: Luck VS Wit

  1. #1
    somewhere ... hellowwonderland_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default Luck VS Wit

    I just finished this manga and I was very intrigued by the plot (though at first I really wanted to slap the main girl) and this question(for a lack of better word) just popped up in my mind.

    Luck VS Wit.

    Of course, Luck in this case is not just one of those unreliable chances that popped up once in a while, but one of those that are kinda similar to what the main girl in Binbō-gami have; constant and overwhelmingly so. I just think it would be an interesting scenario to see it happen, since most of the games in LGT can be dependent on luck and even more interesting if there is someone who can absorb those "luck" like the main char in Binbo-gami.

    Sorry if it sounds confusing, since I find it hard to express it. One of those moments when the idea is so clear in your head but you can't just find the right words to explain.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Has a Few Faves Blood Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    If Sherlock Holmes solved crimes purely by luck, would Doyle's novels be read at all?

  3. #3
    One of The Followers Michael Maverick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Liar Game has almost nothing to do with luck, what the **** are you talking about. I don't understand why you'd want to see something like what you suggest.
    Last edited by Michael Maverick; 12-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.

  4. #4
    5FA Archivist Jedi Killer-DarkVader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Working in the Archives
    Posts
    720

    Default

    I played one of the most exciting game in LG with a couple of my friends- 17 Cad Poker (it's seriously fun, you should try it) After I played a few hundred rounds, I got the notion that wit was about as equally important as luck with wit having only a slight lead. You can win with wit purely because it works but luck is also important if you're in RL.

  5. #5
    somewhere ... hellowwonderland_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Diamond View Post
    If Sherlock Holmes solved crimes purely by luck, would Doyle's novels be read at all?
    I don't read Sherlock Holmes so I can't say for sure but what you're saying is solving crimes, it's a given that wits are supposed to involved. But in LGT, most of the games can be won through luck or rather, become annoyingly difficult because of opponent's luck. Like I said just now, the luck I'm referring to was one of those overwhelmingly and constant kind. The kind similar to the main character in Binbo-gami. I guess it'd be pretty interesting to see Akagami go against such opponent though he will probably manipulate the opponent in a way that his/her luck will help him win the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maverick View Post
    Liar Game has almost nothing to do with luck, what the **** are you talking about. I don't understand why you'd want to see something like what you suggest.
    Well, why not? I know that LGT has almost nothing to do with luck, and it's precisely so that I find it interesting if Akagami went against such opponent; one that has such overwhelming luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Killer-DarkVader View Post
    I played one of the most exciting game in LG with a couple of my friends- 17 Cad Poker (it's seriously fun, you should try it) After I played a few hundred rounds, I got the notion that wit was about as equally important as luck with wit having only a slight lead. You can win with wit purely because it works but luck is also important if you're in RL.
    Ah really? I never thought about trying it in real life! Hahaha, maybe next time during gathering!
    Well I would guess in normal circumstances wit will have a slight lead, since it's almost impossible to find someone with luck that I'm talking about in real life. And I guess it's possible to win on purely wits alone, but that'd be exceedingly difficult and rare isn't it, especially if you're downright unlucky.

  6. #6
    One of The Followers Michael Maverick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Akagami
    Dude what?

    And seriously, this is anti-writing. In a series grounded in reality like LG, there can't be people with that kind of long-term phenomenal luck. It's not a thing that exists; it's the stupidest and least interesting idea for a manga about psychology and strategy. Not to mention none of the games can thus far could be won with pure luck, with the possible exception of Revival Round 2, because there's always either a sure-fire way to win, a strong tactical element, or you need to consider the psychology of your opponents and make them trust you. Even in Round 4 if you constantly stumbled upon chairs like a lucky bastard, you still couldn't possibly survive till the end on your own.

    Let's just forget this thread ever happened.
    Last edited by Michael Maverick; 12-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.

  7. #7
    somewhere ... hellowwonderland_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maverick View Post
    Dude what?

    And seriously, this is anti-writing. In a series grounded in reality like LG, there can't be people with that kind of long-term phenomenal luck. It's not a thing that exists; it's the stupidest and least interesting idea for a manga about psychology and strategy. Not to mention none of the games can thus far could be won with pure luck, with the possible exception of Revival Round 2, because there's always either a sure-fire way to win, a strong tactical element, or you need to consider the psychology of your opponents and make them trust you. Even in Round 4 if you constantly stumbled upon chairs like a lucky bastard, you still couldn't possibly survive till the end on your own.

    Let's just forget this thread ever happened.
    Oops. I suck at remembering names but oh well.

    Well, I'd give you that about the impossibility of having such a person with such good luck, but hypothetically speaking, if such a person exists, it isn't impossible to win with pure luck in the earlier rounds. It wasn't until the later rounds that I find it'd be completely impossible to win on just pure luck alone. Ah, but the beauty of luck make them all moot points isn't it?

    Of course now that you remind me, this is a manga that is grounded in reality, so I'd guess the point I'm trying to make is moot by default since like you said, it is impossible for such a person to exist. Though I don't change my stance on me finding interesting if the main guy went against such a person.

  8. #8
    Has a Few Faves Blood Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    You're not comprehending what I meant. Sorry, I was a little too vague. The series you were talking about with this "luck" guy borders on fantasy. Liar Game is realism. If the protagonist had a superpower that gave him immense luck I would drop the series immediately.

    EDIT: Also if he won by "luck" it defeats the purpose of this manga. This series is very much like Sherlock Holmes: Akiyama is faced with a problem and he finds loopholes, develops strategies, etc, purely through logic and his own wit whilst the reader follows and attempts to figure out how he will succeed (knowing full well that he will, but how he will, is the question). That is the defining factor of stories like this. There is no room for luck.
    Last edited by Blood Diamond; 12-21-2012 at 12:18 AM.

  9. #9
    King of Shadows WilliamWizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ask your little sister
    Posts
    3,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellowwonderland_ View Post
    I just finished this manga and I was very intrigued by the plot (though at first I really wanted to slap the main girl) and this question(for a lack of better word) just popped up in my mind.

    Luck VS Wit.

    Of course, Luck in this case is not just one of those unreliable chances that popped up once in a while, but one of those that are kinda similar to what the main girl in Binbō-gami have; constant and overwhelmingly so. I just think it would be an interesting scenario to see it happen, since most of the games in LGT can be dependent on luck and even more interesting if there is someone who can absorb those "luck" like the main char in Binbo-gami.

    Sorry if it sounds confusing, since I find it hard to express it. One of those moments when the idea is so clear in your head but you can't just find the right words to explain.

    What do you guys think?
    there's no luck at liar game. even the luckiest man in earth would find his luck useless against a good liar game player.

    for example what kind of luck you want to have in the first round against akiyama's trick? you yourself are your worst enemy and no matter how lucky you are. you will be tricked and find the money stolen at the last second because you lacked the most crucial information. when does the game ends.

    can luck help you in the second round? no way. since you are teamed with a group of people you are required to vote based on a strategy so there's no luck involved. you will lose no matter what.

    can luck help you in the downsizing game? no. nobody will give you your vote by luck. all votes are pre-arranged according to a strategy so there's no luck involved.

    can luck help you in the contraband game? no. again it depends on the skill of the other people to cheat and trick.

    can luck help you in the pandemic game? at best you could be a non-infected player at the beginning but you wouldn't be able to prove it to other players.

    at musical chairs you could be lucky enough to find more chairs but sooner or later you will lose them either because they are stolen or removed.

    even at 17-cards poker luck has nothing to do with winning since akiyama proved you can control what cards get each player with the proper strategy. you won't get lucky and get better cards.

    the only game where you could be lucky beyond luck and win just because of that is stationary roulette since you could be lucky enough to always guess the correct number and trick each time your opponent into failing to guess it but I'm sure you understand such kind of perfect luck would be plain absurd and even more ruin the fun of the game.
    Knowledge is freedom.
    Ignorance is happiness.
    What do you prefer?
    ----------------------------------------
    The path to perfection is not to avoid making mistakes,
    it's making lots of mistakes and never repeat them.
    ----------------------------------------
    If nothing else learn this:
    Always ask "why?" and never take "I don't know" or "because I say so" for an answer.

  10. #10
    Level One Otaku magiccircle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    a place in time space
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Luck doesn't really matter. It's all wit.
    pudding+me=happiness

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •