Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love Hetalia and all, but...

A Page Flipper

Default I love Hetalia and all, but...

But...some things just really get to me. Like in the first chapter, with Italy in WWI. Italy kicked ass in the first war. Well, mostly Austrian ass, but still!

(This is a thread where you can voice your general disappointments/things that just make you /things that make you really surprised as in "did he just do that?" with the manga. Not necessarily negative things, just maybe puzzlements, surprises, facepalms, etc.)

For me, it's
    1) The first statement
    2) The way China seems to adore Japan when in actuality there is a lot of anti-Japanese sentiments in China.
    3) The various bookstore owners were wearing a Jewish skullcap in the Buon Son Valentine strips. And you know what period of time and what kind of place that strip takes place...
    4) Huh, so Romano and Spain's relationship is in that "Gray Area"... huh, that's pretty smart of Himaruya.
    5) I appreciated the way that Himaruya didn't just make this comic completely light, since he's actually dealing with some dark stuff. Like "Blood Sunday"

Note: Controversial is okay, controversial is practicing free speech and creativity, but please keep a civil tongue, or rather, keyboard, and don't try to deliberately piss off the more extreme fanpeople, ok? Awsome.

A Page Flipper

well, it's an ideal world in the manga in comparison to the gory truth so I'm fine with that

It's interesting that you should bring that up. It's been a while since I've been really on top of Hetalia, but I do remember noticing some of the things you just pointed out. I'm not sure if any of it bothers me, but it certainly makes me think.

Your #2 statement is mainly a result from the Nanking Massacre of WWII which Japan still denies to this day. Before, it would be regular tension between nations not exactly hate on a full scale. Plus the mangaka being Japanese doesn't make it that surprising.

And you're definitely right about Italy. In fact some of the history presented are skewed a bit. For starters...
    1) Japan is on the side with the Allies in WWI but Hetalia shows him enjoying the company of Germany and Italy.
    2) Italy then declare war on Austria and joined the Allies as you stated in another way. They were neutral before.
    3) If the characters went by history, US didn't get the hero mentality until later on (more focus on the economy before Pearl Harbor I believe) and hamburger obsession until the 50s even though it's been introduce earlier. Same with Italy being weak and the other characters.
    4) 99% of the nations are actually female. Hehe they're mostly males in Hetalia. Not that bad but it's kind of funny.

yes, it's ideal world and I like absolutely all the characters, each in unique way. But there are things that disturbes me as well.

Espesially earlier mentioned China's adoration of Japan. As I was in China, and I have friends and penpals from there, and it's clearly that China doesn't like Japan. At least China doesn't have admiration and such hot friendly feelings for Japan as it is in the anime and manga.

Maybe because the author is Japanese him-self that's why he is showing it that way.
    Last edited by Soriori; 01-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.

I think that why focus on something negative when theres pasta? xD no just kidding, but honestly you should always be cheerful ^o^

『Confirmed Door-kun DLC』 Tomato Sandwich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yaoiftw View Post
    3) If the characters went by history, US didn't get the hero mentality until later on (more focus on the economy before Pearl Harbor I believe) and hamburger obsession until the 50s even though it's been introduce earlier. Same with Italy being weak and the other characters.
    America also eats Subway and uses a laptop computer, which wasn't invented back then, so you can't really say anything about the hamburger obsession being off key, since everything America does breaks the fourth wall and/or is off key. England even points out how he shouldn't be doing this and that and eating Dunkin Donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoiftw View Post
    4) 99% of the nations are actually female. Hehe they're mostly males in Hetalia. Not that bad but it's kind of funny.
    As far as I know most of the nations don't have a gender per say. Russia is the only country known as the "Motherland." Africa is up in debate as well as South America, etc. America may have the statue of liberty but it isn't considered a 'woman nation.' Especially due to the sexism here. Some people would be -gasp- offended.

Also....China adores Japan? I thought due to their past history in Hetalia that they were not on good terms. It was shown in the flashback that Japan/China has more issues than US/UK. Where does it say in the manga that he adores him? Did it just happen because when I stopped in volume 3 they were still on shady terms; can tolerate each other but that's it.

It sounds like the whole Russia/America thing that comes from the assumption of two comics and previous history, even though it has been proven in Hetalia that the nations=/=the country's viewpoints as shown with Spain.

There are a crapload of inconsistencies because its a satire so I don't even look at them. I mostly look at the characters in question, such as if China was like this and he's suddenly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu Delivery View Post

As far as I know most of the nations don't have a gender per say. Russia is the only country known as the "Motherland."
    Oh I thought that England was called Motherland as well^^

There is one aspect as for the comprehension of a country's gender. As for my native language, most of countriesare females that's for sure: France, England, America, Germany, Italy, Huangary, Russia, etc. Personally I always thought about a gendar of a country based on grammatical or something thing... like for example, most of female names ends in -a, so Venezuela, America, Africa are females and vice versa.

I suppose the same thing is experienced by people who as well as me speak language where a big value have gender of each word for example: the German, French, Spanish etc. but rules can be different of course.
    I don't think it is a big matter for speaker of English though as they describes most of things by "it".

Of course one can think of a gender of a country based on it's policy and history. As does the mangaka I suppose. If one asks me about countries gender based on this creteria, I think I'd absolutely agree with the author) except for Huangary as it is always was strong country. But I guess there is alredy too many boys in the Roman Empair, and it made a perfect romantic line) so Huangary was made a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu Delivery View Post
    Also....China adores Japan? I thought due to their past history in Hetalia that they were not on good terms. It was shown in the flashback that Japan/China has more issues than US/UK. Where does it say in the manga that he adores him? Did it just happen because when I stopped in volume 3 they were still on shady terms; can tolerate each other but that's it.
    there was only one flashback with such a meaning, but then a lot of lovey-dovey moments. I don't know as for manga, but in the anime there were enough of them. For example when China is so happy when Japan gives to him a Hello kitty.

I am quite fine with the manga, but i dont really understand what swedens way of talking is supposed to represent? It just annoys me as someone that lives in Sweden and actually dont see aa lot of diffrence between englishtalking swedes and english people themselves.

A Page Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by Hachikuji View Post
    I am quite fine with the manga, but i dont really understand what swedens way of talking is supposed to represent? It just annoys me as someone that lives in Sweden and actually dont see aa lot of diffrence between englishtalking swedes and english people themselves.
    Hm, I thought it was a Scandinavian stereotype that Swedish sounds really gargled. Some kind of joke that goes "Swedish sounds like (some language) spoken drunk, gargling water, and with rocks in the mouth."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast