Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arena New Rules

Default The Arena New Rules

Finally provided, the current rules were changed.
    Any debater should read it, any opinion is welcomed.

Name's not a typo. Live with it. Metadeth's Avatar

Looks good from first read. Should there be a thread and post moderation thread for reports also?

Quote Originally Posted by Metadeth View Post
    Looks good from first read. Should there be a thread and post moderation thread for reports also?
    Im plain active and know more or less most of the thread posted, but if you find something and Im not here then PM me or VM me and I will take care later.

Looks fine to me. But the rules posted as stickies in the actual subforums haven't changed, only the ones in the green announcement box did.

Quote Originally Posted by TRcommander View Post
    Looks fine to me. But the rules posted as stickies in the actual subforums haven't changed, only the ones in the green announcement box did.
    Taking care of it.

Don't step in my yard The Immortal Watch Dog's Avatar

Understand that not everyone knows a veteran’s expectations when posting in the Arena. However, this is no reason to insult them, flame or troll someone for stating their opinion. If you wish to point out any anomalies from a member’s post, do so respectfully. If they still stand by their opinion and it upsets you, drop the topic. Be welcoming of new debaters; not everyone will enter the Arena with full knowledge of the norms of the Arena. Understand this; in no case will you ever dictate to another member what you will and will not allow regarding posting in the Arena.

I lol every time I read this because if you seriously think any Arena poster I don't care if he has..five posts to his name...or five hundred thousand as long as he has a good head on his shoulder.. Does not have the right to look a demented fanboy in the eye and tell him "We wont put up with your crap on this section" then you're dreaming..

the debaters make this section what it is whether their new or old...only that they're good matters. We aren't elitist or bullies all we ask is you don't cripple us and give the fans a huge advantage over us

that you don;t censor our words and take from us our tools..that you do not impose faux respect and some PBS style Sesame Street Doctrine of false respect and fellowship..that's what we ask

Aeacus

I removed the sticky thread for rules in each section since the announcement should be enough. But if you guys want it back, I'll return it.

@IWD there is a difference between challenging a new debater's opinions and proofs (or lack thereof) and downright insulting their intelligence. We are asking you to avoid the latter. That is all. Members do get warned if they do not follow the expectations of an Arena debate, so if you do see a member acting as such please report them to Green or even myself and we will deal with the situation.
    xxxxxxplugs storageset by parukeenefarious joker

Quote Originally Posted by crepuscule. View Post

@IWD there is a difference between challenging a new debater's opinions and proofs (or lack thereof) and downright insulting their intelligence. We are asking you to avoid the latter. That is all. Members do get warned if they do not follow the expectations of an Arena debate, so if you do see a member acting as such please report them to Green or even myself and we will deal with the situation.
    the problem is if we run to you and tattle tale they will never learn. This is the fundamental difference between this site and any other vs debate section out there..you all have created rules that exist as a shield to protect the ignorant and the biased..you rob us of our words you restrict how we can debate..Some of you (not you I actually have no idea who you are so I wont attack you and lump you in with the rest that would be pretty hypocritical of me) Apparently have no concept of reality considering what was considered mean and bullying was...rather tame

I think..our biggest issue is that: The absolute lack of awareness from the staff..you don't see a group of debaters defending the site and using tough love to bring people around you see bullies and nothing could be further from the truth

I mean there's the PBS faction and they should not be allowed to be anywhere near the Arena under pain of demoderation hell a good staff culling couldn't hurt this site..I don't know you..I hope to have a positive working relationship with you, you are reaching out to us and that does show the potential for a healthy working relationship between the staff and the regs

but I ask this and this is important: You guys have to allow us to educate to show the way it's done..and if needed to knock sense into people. Other wise the members don't grow and you become a crutch for any moron who can't hold his own in a debate and runs crying to the staff

EDIT- not that I'm saying we are without mistakes we all do make them and at times I have gone..too far and been raked over the coals for it and I accept that, that's fine. But there has to be a system in place that does not denounce us as the problem and protect the people who are.
    Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 04-17-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Aeacus

the problem is if we run to you and tattle tale they will never learn. This is the fundamental difference between this site and any other vs debate section out there..you all have created rules that exist as a shield to protect the ignorant and the biased..
    The rules were created to ensure a welcome and enjoyable atmosphere for new people and regulars alike.

you rob us of our words you restrict how we can debate..Some of you (not you I actually have no idea who you are so I wont attack you and lump you in with the rest that would be pretty hypocritical of me) Apparently have no concept of reality considering what was considered mean and bullying was...rather tame
    I won’t nitpick on every little thing that happens here. Heated debates will occur here and that’s understandable. I won’t prevent you from debating in such a manner.

but I ask this and this is important: You guys have to allow us to educate to show the way it's done..and if needed to knock sense into people. Other wise the members don't grow and you become a crutch for any moron who can't hold his own in a debate and runs crying to the staff
    I’m not saying that you aren’t allowed to teach/criticise their opinions. All we’re asking is that you do so in a respectful manner. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to sugarcoat your words, but if you do teach a new arena debater do it in a manner that won’t… scare them off, for lack of a better term.
    xxxxxxplugs storageset by parukeenefarious joker

The rules were created to ensure a welcome and enjoyable atmosphere for new people and regulars alike.
    They seemed to be vast improvements on the prior set I will concede this but the anti bullying crusade needs to end..We have attacked bullies just as viciously as we have attacked fanboys

no let me rephrase that we get even worse with them. Two years ago a Naruto fan threatened to kill one of our newbs in a debate Kal El Summers and I jumped the guy and did not stop until he broke apologized and then ran - he stopped both his wanking and his bullying and i don't see how it's fair in light of incidents like that to attack us as such.

I won’t nitpick on every little thing that happens here. Heated debates will occur here and that’s understandable. I won’t prevent you from debating in such a manner.
    I'm glad you realize that things can get heated most people do not. Thank you

I’m not saying that you aren’t allowed to teach/criticise their opinions. All we’re asking is that you do so in a respectful manner. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to sugarcoat your words, but if you do teach a new arena debater do it in a manner that won’t… scare them off, for lack of a better term.
    that has to be earned..to your second point: I understand your concern about loosing traffic to this section but regarding vs debating basically word of mouth matters an enormous amount I am sure your aware of how certain larger forums have a huge influence on this and many other sites yes? Essentially currently MF has a reputation for naive abusive mods who are totally willing to allow pervasive fanboyism and wanking as long as it's polite..that you don't care about the quality of the section that you want some..Mister Rogers fantasy and that your willing to ruthlessly persecute and doctor the rules to ensure that. That you allow HST and especially Naruto wank to take precedent over everything. This has reduced your traffic as you have a reputation of pure contempt out there..other sites actively speak against you and caution newbs not to go. The good members who post here end up alienated by those same policies and end up joining.. the larger sites

the traffic issue will not be solved by telling us to be nice to wankers boss man..it will be solved by creating a strong section where debating is taken seriously and the infestation of biased is allowed to be routed and sent scurrying back to the shadows as it were...basically

I'll add too: banning real world matches is also why a number of posters I've tried to get to come here to boost up the number of members have flat out refused
    Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 04-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast