Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so wrong about the main character?

Default What's so wrong about the main character?

I dont see why people dont like him, sure Haru is fat but he isnt ugly, i actually think he's cute , and i like the fact he's not a cliche stereotypical douche like most main characters(Shu) but i guess if your just reading the manga for how the characters look instead of their development,personality and growth, then hating him seems fair
    Last edited by ZBurn; 03-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Has a Few Faves

Quote Originally Posted by ZBurn View Post
    I dont see why people dont like him, sure Haru is fat but he isnt ugly, i actually think he's cute , and i like the fact he's not a cliche stereotypical douche like most main characters(Shu) but i guess if your just reading the manga for how the characters look instead of their development,personality and growth, then hating him seems fair

people will always judge others, what can i say

The problem is for a girl like black lotus to be interested in a guy like haru in a romantic way is just not possible in reality, I know this is a manga or novel and all but most reader can't help but sometimes compare what they read to reality. A smart beautiful school idol being intested in a short, fat, underclassman just not possible and reader sometimes just can't ignore that.

I know most of us always say you should never judge a book by its cover and all, but sadly that how life works most of the time, not saying is all the time but majority of the time in life pretty ppl just don't hang around with ugly ppl, it just life. Just look at TV how many movie star or supermodel we know actually marry a plain old average guy, maybe what 1 out of 10. Majority of them will only marry other good looking movie star or some rich dude from some big business. It just life that ppl will always get judge by their looks.

I, too, have no problem with Haruyuki. To me, he looks like a cute chibi (: And about Black Lotus liking him, I think it's just because he will help her no matter what she did before. She even said it herself in the manga when he asked her why she would like a "fat, ugly guy" like him, and she replies with "Love has no reason." Honestly, I think this manga is just great and original by traveling off the cliche main characters. I mean, I know people love and are used to those good/decent looking guys, but that just means that they should just stick to those types, then. Mangas like these are rare, and for those of us who are more interested in the manga for the development and have no problem with the main character despite how our society sees them, then we'll read it.

Why are we fighting over this topic in the first place? If you don't like the main character so much that it ruins the story for you, then don't read it. If you like/don't really care about how they look but like the story, then keep reading. What's so hard about that? Geez guys, just leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by htcheng View Post
    The problem is for a girl like black lotus to be interested in a guy like haru in a romantic way is just not possible in reality, I know this is a manga or novel and all but most reader can't help but sometimes compare what they read to reality. A smart beautiful school idol being intested in a short, fat, underclassman just not possible and reader sometimes just can't ignore that.

I know most of us always say you should never judge a book by its cover and all, but sadly that how life works most of the time, not saying is all the time but majority of the time in life pretty ppl just don't hang around with ugly ppl, it just life. Just look at TV how many movie star or supermodel we know actually marry a plain old average guy, maybe what 1 out of 10. Majority of them will only marry other good looking movie star or some rich dude from some big business. It just life that ppl will always get judge by their looks.
    I agree, but the main thing to keep in mind is that the author agrees with that point as well. He made sure to point out that a bond between a pretty girl and a not-so-pretty guy would attract a lot of attention and shock a lot of people, but then it just went the course that it would in real life and people got used to it.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the novel alot not as much as SAO since SAO is like my all time top 3 favorite novel of all time, but since Accel world is by same author I read it as well all 10 volume of novel, waiting for 11 now. Storyline is very good, but is also true that most of the time I still cannot ignore to judge haru by his look while reading. Compare to Kirito in SAO haru is hard to swallow as a main character.

Has a Few Faves

Default Lol

Hmm, what a coincidence, just yesterday, I heard someone talk about how he wanted more fat characters in anime since skinny or fit people are so uncommon in reality lol (He liked Chouji from Naruto before he became skinny XD). Anyways, the art is actually pretty good, the guy is not as bad as many other skinny MC's are. Basically he's not bad-looking, he's just fat, and his pig-looking form is like a cute mascot lol

Question huh?

Quote Originally Posted by htcheng View Post

Um looks arent always the case since you get people like Akon&Steven Tyler being very successful and can get any girl they want. Jay Z is a great example about how looks doesn't matter since his significant other is one the most beautiful women on the planet. Heck i would love to marry JayZ though ^^. Looks aren't the only thing that can get you the girl but hell is sure helps since i do like cute boys :P

But SAO is a terrible manga....

The Black Swordsman... swordstriker21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZBurn View Post
    But SAO is a terrible manga....
    But it's an amazing light novel. And I mean amazing. There will be an anime adaptation in July. Watch the preview in youtube.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast