Thread: some questions about the anime/manga

A Page Flipper

Default some questions about the anime/manga

hey guys! i have loved saiunkoku monogatari since forever and lately i just redownloaded both the anime seasons to rewatch. but since the manga is the only continuation, i thought i'd really want to start reading the manga so that i know what happens! but i just wanted to ask if anyone could tell me where to start from the manga from where the anime left off. cause i don't really feel like rereading all that has happened. unless the manga and the anime are very different? but whatever it is, can someone explain/tell me more? it'll be greatly appreciated! thank you so much! <3

Vol 5, Chapter 18 (which is the most recent on this site) covers until about Episode 12 of the anime. I'm not sure how the rest of it lines up because I've only read up until that Chapter, and seen up to that episode. LoL.

Honestly, I would recommend reading from the beginning though. The events do not happen in the same order, and are somewhat different in the manga, than the anime. The manga takes a slightly slower pace and (in my opinion) offers different insight into the characters than the anime. While I won't say that one is necessarily better than the other-because I feel there are certain things the anime does a better job explaining and portraying, while there are others that the manga does better with-I think they both offer a sort of unique look at the characters. Some of the characters also seem a little more developed (at this point) in the manga, than in the anime.

For example, Kijin is handled a little differently in some key scenes, which I feel adds a lot more depth to his character. As of episode 12 in the anime, he's still very 2D, and less is known about him than is known by the same point in the manga. The manga has revealed a little more about him at this point, and has shown more of what his personality is really like. This is true for some of the other characters as well. (Again, this is only going by me having seen up to Episode 12--I don't know what happens beyond this point, or what is shown or revealed of any characters).

I don't think the anime and manga are necessarily very different. But some of the subtle nuances that exist in the manga make it worth reading, even if you've seen the anime. I feel the manga is a little slower paced, so certain scenes are fleshed out differently, which causes character relationships to be slightly different than they are in the anime. That's just my opinion though. =3
    Last edited by CyborgPetshop; 01-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.

A Page Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgPetshop View Post
    Vol 5, Chapter 18 (which is the most recent on this site) covers until about Episode 12 of the anime. I'm not sure how the rest of it lines up because I've only read up until that Chapter, and seen up to that episode. LoL.

Honestly, I would recommend reading from the beginning though. The events do not happen in the same order, and are somewhat different in the manga, than the anime. The manga takes a slightly slower pace and (in my opinion) offers different insight into the characters than the anime. While I won't say that one is necessarily better than the other-because I feel there are certain things the anime does a better job explaining and portraying, while there are others that the manga does better with-I think they both offer a sort of unique look at the characters. Some of the characters also seem a little more developed (at this point) in the manga, than in the anime.

For example, Kijin is handled a little differently in some key scenes, which I feel adds a lot more depth to his character. As of episode 12 in the anime, he's still very 2D, and less is known about him than is known by the same point in the manga. The manga has revealed a little more about him at this point, and has shown more of what his personality is really like. This is true for some of the other characters as well. (Again, this is only going by me having seen up to Episode 12--I don't know what happens beyond this point, or what is shown or revealed of any characters).

I don't think the anime and manga are necessarily very different. But some of the subtle nuances that exist in the manga make it worth reading, even if you've seen the anime. I feel the manga is a little slower paced, so certain scenes are fleshed out differently, which causes character relationships to be slightly different than they are in the anime. That's just my opinion though. =3
    thank you so so much for clearing that up for me! but i read the spoilers and i don't know if i want to read the manga now cause i'm afraid that i'll be too sad :( hahaha. i really really love the series and it's characters. so when i read the ending, it really tore me apart when i found out it was a tragedy BUT THANK YOU SO SO MUCH ANYWAYS!

A Page Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgPetshop View Post

thank you so so much for clearing that up for me! but i read the spoilers and i don't know if i want to read the manga now cause i'm afraid that i'll be too sad :( hahaha. i really really love the series and it's characters. so when i read the ending, it really tore me apart when i found out it was a tragedy BUT THANK YOU SO SO MUCH ANYWAYS!

N3wb

yeah, it seems to be heading down the tragedy line. the manga's based more on the novels, rather than the anime... i first watched the anime, then read the novels and finally the manga, so i noted differences in the chronology of events and character development.

the manga still does leave out a good chunk of dialogue and characters' thoughts and reflections, but its pretty faithful to the novels... if you wanna read it, i think you should start from the beginning though, cause the anime left out characters/incidents/explanations that tie in with the plot in later volumes.

i guess while reading the novels, the author kinda prepares the reader for the turbulence ahead... there're some insinuations here and there, and a bit of an sinister feeling lurking around the volumes in the middle that gets stronger as you continue... you get a sense that you've been drawn into a stormy sea without knowing what's lurking beneath the waves, and that that which can be observed is just a shadow or an extension of an even bigger state of affairs..
    Last edited by adelandria; 02-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.

thanks for the comparison!! i'vw read the manga and i'm currently having the hang of it so i'm downloading it's anime right now.but it says there will be some tragedies happening and i'm kinda debating to my self if i'll continue reading it..i really don't like sad things though..

woah there's a novel for this?! where can i read it?
    leeseungri is love

crazy inlove with manga LOve Crazed Moron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxxfayel View Post
    woah there's a novel for this?! where can i read it?
    If anyone has any intel to this, please link me! I just watched both seasons of the anime and I'm currently suffering from withdrawal... I need to know what happens next and I'm not sure when the manga will get up to speed with the anime
    "Daddy, I want a rabbit!"
    "Okay sweetie, I'll get you one once we go to a petshop."
    "But I don't any silly old rabbit! I want THAT rabbit!"
    --------------------------------------->