Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Yokoya know it's Bid Poker???

Default How did Yokoya know it's Bid Poker???

I decide to make a thread to discuss about this. How did Yokoya knew the game before hand? Is there any pattern in the game or it's based on any stupid book *lol*

A Page Flipper TheAlbinoEthiopian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitomi Rakuda View Post
    I decide to make a thread to discuss about this. How did Yokoya knew the game before hand? Is there any pattern in the game or it's based on any stupid book *lol*
    My guess is the latter, but I don't feel like there's enough information to make any sort of call on it.

One of The Followers Michael Maverick's Avatar

The conversation between him and Kurifuji wasn't entirely unambiguous, but he did say that the most important thing for a participant to have is information. Based on what has happened now, we can clearly see that he was referring to himself knowing about the game in advance. We can therefore safely assume he didn't deduce if from any pattern. Besides, there's no way LGT would allow the games to be anticipated. In all likelihood, he found some exploit in the system and got hold of information he wasn't supposed to have. Considering that even Akiyama and Harimoto didn't seem to know, Yokoya probably made use of something only he alone had - large amounts of expendable money and/or power/influence.

Definitely not a villain. Aduro's Avatar

My theory revolves around the book, I dont think this is the first time the game has been played. The book could be an autobiography or diary of a former mask or player and their experiences with the game. However this theory does have a few gaping holes, would the mighty LGT really let all that information loose and risk it going to someone like Akiyama who wants to bring it down or worse the governement or police. Also would they use the same game twice, im sure there are lots of potential games that could be invented. Why risk a leak?

A Page Flipper

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/liar_g...4/c140/19.html
    It's stated that the observer in the "masks with stalks" knew the details of the game
    Also in chapter 143 we see him having an emotional outcry, something we've never seen from a dealer.
    So the question is what is Yokoya's relation to this "observer".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maverick View Post
    The conversation between him and Kurifuji wasn't entirely unambiguous, but he did say that the most important thing for a participant to have is information. Based on what has happened now, we can clearly see that he was referring to himself knowing about the game in advance. We can therefore safely assume he didn't deduce if from any pattern. Besides, there's no way LGT would allow the games to be anticipated. In all likelihood, he found some exploit in the system and got hold of information he wasn't supposed to have. Considering that even Akiyama and Harimoto didn't seem to know, Yokoya probably made use of something only he alone had - large amounts of expendable money and/or power/influence.
    But think about how unfulfilling that resolution is from a storytelling perspective. A mystery is presented in which Yokoya somehow penetrates the Liar Game to some degree and manages to gain knowledge of the game before it's played; pretty stimulating. How disappointing would it be if the reveal was just that Yokoya bribed someone? Completely anti-climactic because of how terribly obvious that would be. Also, are we expected to believe that after participating in 4 games and a qualifier already, he's just now coming up with the plan to bribe the officials? That didn't cross his mind after the Contraband Game? Or the qualifier to Steal-A-Chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Xemba View Post
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/liar_g...4/c140/19.html
    It's stated that the observer in the "masks with stalks" knew the details of the game
    Also in chapter 143 we see him having an emotional outcry, something we've never seen from a dealer.
    So the question is what is Yokoya's relation to this "observer".
    I don't think that's the guy they meant by "The Mask with Stalks". The guy who had the outburst was the one they called "Alsab," and there was no reason for him to know the game ahead of time; it would serve no purpose. Plus, unless I'm misunderstanding the use of the word "stalk", there's not really anything on his mask that would resemble a stalk. The only people who should be candidates for knowing of the game ahead of time are the dealer (since there are two concurrent games, two dealers, and one masked official who knew, this is ruled out) or the person in charge (the implication seems to be that Artier is in charge, or at least in charge of everyone we've seen thus far).
    Last edited by TheAlbinoEthiopian; 12-28-2011 at 01:31 AM.

A Page Flipper

I suppose I was assuming they were referring to Alsab. However on page http://www.mangafox.com/manga/liar_game/v14/c143/3.html we see Kurifuji saying that she's been worried about what on earth had happened between the people (plural) in the "masks with stalks" present here. I'm not sure who else she could be referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemba View Post
    I suppose I was assuming they were referring to Alsab. However on page http://www.mangafox.com/manga/liar_game/v14/c143/3.html we see Kurifuji saying that she's been worried about what on earth had happened between the people (plural) in the "masks with stalks" present here. I'm not sure who else she could be referring to.
    Good catch. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that perhaps the term "masks with stalks" is just a term for the masks that all of the dealers are wearing, and it doesn't translate well to English. If this were the case, the first use of that phrase would have to be changed to plural like the second ("masks" with stalks) meaning that all of the dealers were the only ones who knew about the game in advance. I'd imagine this could be an easy mistake to make in translation given the ambiguity of plurals in Eastern Asian languages, but I'm no Japanese speaker and am basing that entirely on knowing Eastern Asian immigrants who have trouble with plurals while speaking English.

So again, that's entirely a guess.

I just realized, due to being located in Japan, the term "masks with stalks" could be a rough translation of "masks made of bamboo stalk", which would make sense as a crafting material.

One of The Followers Michael Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlbinoEthiopian View Post
    But think about how unfulfilling that resolution is from a storytelling perspective. A mystery is presented in which Yokoya somehow penetrates the Liar Game to some degree and manages to gain knowledge of the game before it's played; pretty stimulating. How disappointing would it be if the reveal was just that Yokoya bribed someone? Completely anti-climactic because of how terribly obvious that would be. Also, are we expected to believe that after participating in 4 games and a qualifier already, he's just now coming up with the plan to bribe the officials? That didn't cross his mind after the Contraband Game? Or the qualifier to Steal-A-Chair?
    I don't know why on earth you insist the "trick" to be something simple like bribing someone - I never implied that. I said he probably used money and/or power/influence. It's entirely possible it's something more complex or harder to pull off that he simply didn't think of before. Maybe he outright stole the information. The question of "why is he only doing it NOW?" is pointless, as nothing really changed since the previous games, no intricate plot development that would make him stumble upon this idea. It was very likely his own initiative that set events in motion, though it's indeed a "shame" it only occured to him now. That's just how things go. I don't know what you expect. I'm also not sure how "fulfilling" you want it to be, I'd much rather just get an explanation that makes sense. We've had countless situations already where the resolution was simple, in some cases even obvious. This is not the kind of story where the author would be obligated to pull crazy plot twists out of their arse. Though I do agree it will be disappointing if it's something simple and it gets revealed after like 20 more chapters, after the Akiyama/Nao team has won and it cuts to Fukunaga's brutal defeat.

Anyway, if this "trick" is something that Yokoya can repeat once more or even multiple times, then this presents the protagonists with a serious problem. He only confirmed to know the name and basic premise of Bid Poker, so there's still a chance that this IS just a bluff for the most part, but if indeed he can obtain all the details about upcoming games.....he has time to study them in advance and consider every possibility. He can plan way ahead. And recruiting people is now ridiculously easy.
    It's almost as if Yokoya's reached the ultimate stage of his villain status, where he's just supposed to be invincible now. Being able to gain information like this is so hax, I wouldn't be afraid to suspect we may be nearing the end of Liar Game. Yokoya has suffered too many losses already to be a completely respectable villain. We're probably not getting a new, superior one. The only way I think Kaitani can proceed at this point is finish off either him or Fukunaga. One must fall for good now. And frankly, I don't see much of a chance for the latter.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast