Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Sue.

A Page Flipper

Default Mary Sue.

Nope. Just nope.

The cheesiness of this manga was overwhelming, and no matter what was thrown at her, Najika would always find do the right thing.

God dammit.

Her personality is so boring, and her eyes are HUGE, not to mention that when she's ultra happy and smiles, it creeps me out. Really, I never knew the Japanese had larger eyes than us...
    Anyways, this manga wasn't touching at all, rather cliche. Really, I could make up all Najika's little rainbow words or wisdom (ex: After it rains comes a rainbow) from eating a box of Lucky Charms. And the ending scene, where the rainbow is in the sky when they kiss... I threw up.

Not to mention that she ALWAYS WINS. ALWAYS. No matter how talented the other person is. A chef that is competing against her could have been training for years in the finest culinary school in the world and can still get beaten by some chick with oversized eyes and waist length pig tails who has only self taught herself so much. And then in the end while the loser is on the floor sobbing because he was beaten by a literal rookie, she comforts him with more shit about rainbows and crap and everybody loves her.

And then comes Akane. I actually liked her. She had a legitimate eating disorder, and I could totally relate to some shit that she was going through, considering that I'm slightly self conscious about my weight too.
    BUT.
    The fact that the mangaka had made her look so pathetic in front of Najika! It pissed me off. So now Akane likes Najika too, and she's just another flat little 2-D character.

To be honest, I guess this is one of the better.... wait, no it's not. This really has no plot. Even though it has an interesting... well I can't say that it doesn't have any plot, it's just that it doesn't really go with it.... I don't know. When Najika first arrives to the school, everyone immediately hated her which made no sense, because really, girls in highschool aren't like that. They're more quiet and mocking rather than open and ****ing aggressive. The classes indirect hatred towards Najika really was unreasonable which makes her all the more a mary sue. But the thing is, there wasn't really a main conflict. After one problem was solved, the mangaka would make up some other situation to cause harm to Najika's cooking career, but then a couple of pages later everything would be solved and the girls that had tried to hurt Najika are either embarrassed or actually like Najika now.

Augh. All manga is the same.

N3wb

If you didn't like it why did you continue to read? Plus not all manga is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyEyes View Post
    If you didn't like it why did you continue to read? Plus not all manga is the same.
    Because you need to complete something//know what happens next so that you have a base on which you can support your hate-argument.

--------

I agree with you on so many levels BAHAH.

& I was laughing throughout the whole manga due to it's plain hilariously childish way of story-telling and I don't know man, the characters were so... like kindergarten kids..., ASDFGHJKL; DUDE I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN PROPERLY... IT WAS JUST SO UNINTENTIONALLY FUNNY - or up to Chapter 27 anyway, which I then stopped, because I was disappointed with the way the author -spoiler- just kills off my favourite character. But aside from the fact that he was my favourite character (LOL), I found that the one of the few reasons the author decided to kill Sora off was to make Najika seem like less of a slut by liking older brother and confessing/ then confessing and hooking up with younger one. LE SIGH.

However, I do disagree with the statement all manga is the same
    it's; MOST SHOUJO MANGA ARE THE SAME.

A Page Flipper

her eyes are HUGE, not to mention that when she's ultra happy and smiles, it creeps me out. Really, I never knew the Japanese had larger eyes than us...
    Well, what did you expect from a SHOUJO manga? It's common knowledge that Shoujo manga are known for characters with obnoxiously huge eyes. You must benew to the world of anime and manga or something.

And no, not all manga is the same. You need to read more than just one genre of manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf923 View Post
    Nope. Just nope.

The cheesiness of this manga was overwhelming, and no matter what was thrown at her, Najika would always find do the right thing.
    ...I didn't realize doing the right thing was so horrible. What's wrong with being a good girl?

And, it's all manga are the same. Okay, I know I'm just being annoying now, but it really did bother me...Anyways, they're not all the same. There are some really good ones out there if your willing to appreciate them.

It's not about being a good girl..

Mangas like Kitchen Princess are the reason why I don't really like most shojo mangas.. some mangaka tend to mess up their characters by making them too perfect - like Najika. I mean.. she really is a Mary Sue! She can solve every problem.
    Baking a billion cakes in five seconds? No problem!
    Tasting something and instantly knowing the ingredients? No problem!
    Winning a competition against a chef? No problem!

N3wb

interesting evaluation... but i recommend that you stop critiquing things you hate and start looking for something you like. a hobby or something... honestly, life is too short to be a pessimist and no one likes a critic.

im sorry but i hate characters with her attitude its so retarded and cheerful it made me wanna puke but her eyes kinda creeped
    me out

Lol, okay then. Well, I have to agree with you. The story itself was rather cliche and it's more of a fairy tale than anything, really. But come on. This is shoujo manga we're talking about. Trademark: large eyes and romance. If you didn't see the big eyes coming, you're new to the manga world. However, there are some things I'd have to disagree on. Not all manga are the same. Maybe a lot of shoujo manga easily fit into this category of fluffiness but hey, it's for young girls, hence shoujo. What'd you expect? There are plenty of other categories other manga fit into that aren't this cliche so don't go generalizing that all manga are like this.

And while she did pretty much solve all her problems, let's not forget that in the end, she didn't really win the competition because she decided to sacrifice it to see her ailing... caretaker? It's been a while since I read it. And she didn't win the other competition either due to the guy's death. For a while after the death, at least she wasn't spewing out the rainbows you detest.

On another note, I hope you guys are referring to the author when you say mangaka and not the artist.

LOL
    Who cares if she's a Mary Sue?
    Shoujo heriones? about 80-90% of them are Mary Sues.
    Yet I still love this manga.
    Even though it's cheesy and cliche, it's still heartwarming and emotional.
    Sometimes, I'd like to get out of awesomely developed mangas and go back to reading cliche ones.
    Because just because something is cliche doesn't mean it's bad - it depends on how the author uses those cliches and makes the story.
    I thought the story was perfect, IMO. I don't care if it's cliche - if I liked it, I liked it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast