Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Liar Game Q & A Thread [Possible Spoilers]

  1. #1

    Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    4,682

    Exclamation Liar Game Q & A Thread [Possible Spoilers]

    I just finished reading Liar Game and at some stages, I was confused with the logic.

    For anyone else who is confused and has questions that need to be answered to clear your misunderstanding, please post here.

    Feel free to ask any reasonable questions about the series that don't violate any rules in MF Forums. Do not ask/post where you can download chapters/episodes, nor should you ask a stupid question like "Is Fukunaga gay?" If somebody else has answered a question and there answer is correct, don't re-answer it or say something like, "Yes, that's correct."

    Remember, this is not a discussion thread, it's an immediate Q & A thread!

    I am also aware of this thread here: General Discussion: If in Doubt, Post Here First!, however, I find the thread too broad, as it hosts discussion of 'past chapter discussions,' 'random discussions,' 'theories,' 'What if's,' 'questions' et cetera. That thread might as well be the whole forum!

    Either way, I'm not too fussed if this thread gets removed; I just want a thread purely for Q & A.

    I'll start things off. Since Fatso was the winner of the musical chairs, does that mean everyone else is eliminated and they must all pay their debts? Or do some of them continue or something? If possible, can you send me a link to the chapter and page of when it may have stated what would happen to the winner and losers.

    ~ Miista.
    Last edited by Frost; 11-10-2010 at 12:37 PM.

    Creating a love story based on submissions from you.

    || Submit Here ||
    Read more here.


  2. #2
    half-lidded panda saturnling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    282

    Default Have just started reading, some questions

    I'm only at Chapter 10. But I have some 'dumb' questions.

    For Round 2, LGT (what does T stand for ?) stated that for people to drop out of the game, they would have to pay 100 million yen. So what I don't understand is this: What are people afraid of? Why couldn't they pay the 100 million yen from their gems on their nameplates? Or did the LGT meant that they have to pay the 100 million yen they were given from the very 1st round of the game? But didn't they already collected the 100 million yen from the winners when the first round was over? There was no longer any outstanding collateral, so what were they talking about? They keep saying they will obtain their money back. But the winning participants from Round 1 really owe them nothing. It's underhanded, wasn't it?

    The 'lawyer' from the earlier chapters told Nao that she could contact Akiyama. Now why would he do something like that??

  3. #3
    N3wb
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Well, in the first round, they returned 100million yen right? and they got to keep what was left.

    Upon receiving the directions for the second round, they were told that they could drop out, provided they return half of what they won from the first round. If they didn't appear for the second round, it would mean forfeiting and they have to return the full amount they won from the first round.

    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/liar_game/v01/c007/5.html

    And we could assume that most of the winners, if not all of them, spent at least part of the money they won, therefore they cant forfeit. Either they pay half or play into the second round.

  4. #4
    A Page Flipper
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I think the better questions would be:

    How can they force people to pay such a random debt? Is that even legal? Why has no one reported this to the police? Why doesn't anybody run away? It's obvious the guys are just giving bullshit answers lawlz. Go into witness protection or something. Once you owe 120398109238910 yen, the only thing left is to go to the police. duh. THEY CCANT GET THEIR MONEY.

    if these people dont HAVE the money, then the company LOSES. thats right, they LOSE money so why the **** are they holding this anyways.....

  5. #5
    One of The Followers aragorn1r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    ^ That's essentially stealing...

    Look at it like this: Someone sent 100 Million yen to you. Since they sent it to you, that means two things: they know where you live. And they know who you are. Now, you say, "100 Million, let's just take it, LOLOLOL", but why the hell would the police protect you? You just effing stole 100 Million from someone else, and now you're asking the government to advocate your illegal actions?

    BUT 1st round is not illegal, since all the money is theirs. All they do is collect their own money back, nothing more, nothing less. It's STEALING if you don't give them back their money. It's PROFITEERING if you give them back the 100 million and get some change left.
    Last edited by aragorn1r; 11-11-2010 at 02:32 AM.

  6. #6
    One of The Followers aragorn1r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Uhm, if you are a transvestite you are classified as a girl, so no, Fukunaga is actually straight.

    I'll start things off. Since Fatso was the winner of the musical chairs, does that mean everyone else is eliminated and they must all pay their debts? Or do some of them continue or something? If possible, can you send me a link to the chapter and page of when it may have stated what would happen to the winner and losers.
    ---
    Yes, everyone else must go to the Revival Round and has a debt of 100 million to pay off. This is standard actions for LGT, based on Round 2 (individual Round). Team Rounds (Round 3) are where half the entrees go to the Revival Round, and half are re-established. Round 2 is where all but 1 of the players of a Round in an area go to the Revival Round, the majority are re-established. You have better chances of coming back in an individual round than a team round, but you have better chances of being a winner in a team round rather than individual round.

    Keep in mind, Fatso must also pay back his share of 100 Million. No one is exempt from the debt return.

  7. #7
    Obsidian Deluder fanged_loathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to a mailbox.
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miista MangaFox View Post
    Remember, this is not a discussion thread, it's an immediate Q & A thread!~ Miista.
    You can say that. but the thing is sometimes a simple Q & A is anything but. Interpretations of the facts related to open ended questions, unknowns, and over looked details leading to false conclusions can quickly turn any Q & A into a discussion on the whole subject. The attempt to keep a Q & A topic discussion free is admirable, but, especially for an unfinished series, destined to fail.

    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn1r View Post
    Keep in mind, Fatso must also pay back his share of 100 Million. No one is exempt from the debt return.
    Actually, no he doesn't. The game loaned out 2.4 billion, but only gave out 2.3 billion in medals. The missing 100 million is no doubt the winner's cut. Just like in Round 2, the LGT paid off the winner's debt instantly.
    Personal Quotes:



    Borrowed Quotes:



    DON'T CLICK THIS!

  8. #8
    King of Shadows WilliamWizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ask your little sister
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalibellewillows View Post
    I think the better questions would be:

    How can they force people to pay such a random debt? Is that even legal? Why has no one reported this to the police? Why doesn't anybody run away? It's obvious the guys are just giving bullshit answers lawlz. Go into witness protection or something. Once you owe 120398109238910 yen, the only thing left is to go to the police. duh. THEY CCANT GET THEIR MONEY.

    if these people dont HAVE the money, then the company LOSES. thats right, they LOSE money so why the **** are they holding this anyways.....
    if the debt was "low" enough trust me there are ways to force people to pay and it's extremely rare for somebody to get the huge debt nao will have (sorry for the spoiler for those that didn't knew)

    about why they are doing it. that's one of the most wanted questions and won't be resolved until the very end. like why the fake lawyer told nao about akiyama. just one through of mine... both things are related somehow.

  9. #9
    Obsidian Deluder fanged_loathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to a mailbox.
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saturnling View Post
    For Round 2, LGT (what does T stand for ?) stated that for people to drop out of the game, they would have to pay 100 million yen. So what I don't understand is this: What are people afraid of? Why couldn't they pay the 100 million yen from their gems on their nameplates? Or did the LGT meant that they have to pay the 100 million yen they were given from the very 1st round of the game? But didn't they already collected the 100 million yen from the winners when the first round was over? There was no longer any outstanding collateral, so what were they talking about? They keep saying they will obtain their money back. But the winning participants from Round 1 really owe them nothing. It's underhanded, wasn't it?
    LGT is Liar Game Tournament. Most people just call the people who run it the LGT because it's easier than saying "LGT officials."

    You mean the debts from Round 2, correct? If you meant the drop outs, that was addressed above. But if it's the Round 2 debts, that's a horse of a different color, and has taken a few people a bit of thinking to figure out. Mostly because it wasn't outright said in the game. It was another one of those things they wanted us to figure out on our own.

    In Round 2, the LGT loaned out each Player 100 million yen. The problem is they then instructed each of the Players to throw the 100 million yen into the kitty and play Minority Rule. And this a gambling rule of thumb: once your money's in the kitty, it's not your money anymore. When they lost the Round, they lost their pin and the jewel that was on it. The winner may not have been decided yet, but they still lost the money the LGT loaned them. Therefore, they have no money loaned out to them. After that, we're back to the above: not many of the people managed to take the full 100 million from their opponents in Round 1 and some even spent some of it. Therefore, a 100 million yen debt is quite the problem for these Players.

    Quote Originally Posted by kalibellewillows View Post
    I think the better questions would be:

    How can they force people to pay such a random debt? Is that even legal? Why has no one reported this to the police? Why doesn't anybody run away? It's obvious the guys are just giving bullshit answers lawlz. Go into witness protection or something. Once you owe 120398109238910 yen, the only thing left is to go to the police. duh. THEY CCANT GET THEIR MONEY.
    The problem is that, for now, it is totally legal. The players were told not to open the box unless they wanted to play and agreed to play by the LGT's rules. The big problem is they weren't told what these rules were beforehand, but that's life. That is a binding contract. Now that they're stuck in a contract with the LGT, the rules are constantly being laid down. The first rules were:

    The LGT loaned the players money, and in one month they will recollect the same amount of money.
    The LGT will not collect the money owed to them while the player bearing the debt is in the Game, only once the player is out of the Game will any debts be collected.

    After that were rules that were specific to Round 1. Then, much later, came the rules that are quickly being carried over time after time.

    At the completetion of each Round, the winning player(s) may either proceed to the next Round or pay a drop out fee equal to half of their profits from the previous Round. However, this only applies if there is a next Round.
    Players who did not win may reenter the Game through a "Revival Round" if they so choose. However, there is no obligation.
    Should a Player lose a Revival Round, they will not be allowed any further chances to reenter the Game.

    It's sort of like getting an apartment and becoming a Tenant by Will. You're getting an apartment and paying rent for it, but there's no lease. As such, your rent fluctuates and the rules can change as you go. However, by the same token, you can't be thrown out for a rule you broke before you were aware it was a rule. The LGT works basically the same way.

    The scary thing about the LGT, and most of the modern scams, are that they start out completely legal, leaving a sucker no choice but to submit. And it's only near the end is its illegal nature shown. But by then it's too late. This use for the LGT is assuming the LGT is profit minded and it can be disproven if the LGT isn't. But for now, everyone in the Game is acting under that assumption, and, as such, are scared for a good reason.
    Last edited by fanged_loathe; 11-11-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Personal Quotes:



    Borrowed Quotes:



    DON'T CLICK THIS!

  10. #10
    EEH? MAJI? EASY MODO? rengar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Becoming legally obligated to some stupid set of terms found in a letter because you opened a box? You do realize how incredibly ridiculous that sounds?

    Even tenancy by will requires a legally binding contract which have pretty well defined conditions (IIRC, there are some legal systems where tenancy by will with no written/oral agreement is legally recognized by the court only after a specific number of months have passed) And to add to that, this an issue involving money, courts are even far more strict on the conditions on what's binding or not

    If anything the only legal action that could be brought on the participants of the first game is for people who pick up money that's just laying on the ground. And that's even flimsy considering the money was left on their doorstep, and the fact that there was no indication that the letter had to be opened first before the box.

    What the LGT is doing is illegal. No question about that. The manga just hand waves it away.

    But if you want an actual justification as to why the characters in the manga are swallowing the crap the LGT is feeding them then just chalk it up to people being desperate, greedy, or simply ignorant of the law. Or that the LGT is a powerful organization which could have ties in the government that any kind of legal action wouldn't touch them.
    Last edited by rengar; 11-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •