View Poll Results: What is Rai's best first?

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • First time having Ramen

166 23.48%
  • first time with an automatic door

61 8.63%
  • first time playing a computer game

63 8.91%
  • first time trying to get out of Frankenstein's house

89 12.59%
  • first time opening a door

118 16.69%
  • first time playing a board game

4 0.57%
  • first time with a banana

67 9.48%
  • first text message

80 11.32%
  • first time printing something off a smart phone

42 5.94%
  • other

17 2.40%
Page 1 of 218 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Rai Character Discussion!

A Page Flipper

Default Official Rai Character Discussion!

So, I am one of those idiots that just want to know what everything means, so I went googling ...

Cadis Etrama Di Raizel

It could of course just "be a name" but I like how the author stated "if you translated it, it would be this".

So ...

Cadis = could be Judge (cadi in persian countries)
    Raizel = could be Rose (hebrew for rose)
    ... di I am guessing is something along the lines of "the" basically? I am not good with languages ...

But what does Etrama mean? My googleskills is not up to the task of figuring it out

Judge X the Rose ?

Or if anyone knows better, please let me know

N3wb

I did a little research by myself, and here's the result:

Cadi - Pure
    Cadis - Sparkling
    Etrama - Variation of "etre", meaning second
    Raizel - Rose
    Note: Most of these names are meant for females

So, his name must be like... Pure Rose, the Second... or something like that...
    Hope this helps

I did not do so much of research on his name, but still his name is so strange!

So far that I could found:

Results of Cadis that I looked up on Bing.com mostly said that Cadis is Greek feminine name that meant "Sparkling".

For Etrama, I could not find anything so far. So I would go with Fowkes' statement.

For Di, it is surprisingly easy to find. 'Cause it is possibly French feminine and diminutive name for Diana, the greek Goddess of Hunt and Moon. But in one certain research, it suggested that Diana could mean "Divine". I doubt it alto...

Raizel, is also feminine name, could be coming from Israel. It meant "Rose". Yet if you are using Behindthename.com, then Raisel would be much more closer to Raizel. Raisel is the diminutive name for Raisa. It meant "Rose" in Yiddish.

Fowkes! You are first person to take a note that his possibly whole name is girl!

If I have to take Fowkes' statement on Etrama, my best guess would be:

Cadis: Sparkling
    Etrama: Second (but etre in French meant "to be"...)
    Di: Divine (if Diana really meant "Divine"...)
    Raizel: Rose

For Caids: Sparkling, Pure, Virgin, Honest, Sincere, and etc that could imply the meaning (since he is male!)

I will go with "Sincere Rose the Second"...

But that was one of my very few best guesses...(Just...Sparkling Rose the Second sounds so...HILARIOUS.)

A Page Flipper

di might be variation of de probably, meaning 'of', as in cadis etrama of raizel.
    it's used by nobles who come from a place or are associated with a certain thing. Like Jeanne D'Arc, which is a contraction of de arc, meaning Jeanne from Arc.

Has a Few Faves

Quote Originally Posted by seleneyue View Post
    di might be variation of de probably, meaning 'of', as in cadis etrama of raizel.
    it's used by nobles who come from a place or are associated with a certain thing. Like Jeanne D'Arc, which is a contraction of de arc, meaning Jeanne from Arc.
    I agree...
    Cadiz is a city in spain and when i tried a language detector, it said that it was catalan (though catalan dictionaries didn't really help much) so perhaps Rai is originally from that area (catalan being the official language of andorra which is situated right next to spain and also an official language of catalonia, an autonomous community of spain)...
    Which means that his name could mean Rose the second of Cadiz...
    Although that does feel like a bit of a stretch....

I'm impressed how much effort you put in it, guys ^.^
    ...It'd be funny if the author just made his name ...random, without thinking, just because it sounded 'cool' or something...
    Currently reading: 1/2 Prince, Annarasumanara, Baby Steps, Bakuman, Cheese in the Trap, Come Spring, Gantz, Holyland, Melo Holic, My Heart is Beating, Noblesse, Orange Marmolade, The Breaker, The One, Tower of God, Trace, Vinland Saga, Zippy Ziggy

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    I'm impressed how much effort you put in it, guys ^.^
    ...It'd be funny if the author just made his name ...random, without thinking, just because it sounded 'cool' or something...
    it's kind of likely that the author did that....i wrote on his blog asking about this so hopefully i'll get a reply ^^

Wink The author's just a sadist towards Rai.

Everyone's research seems about right (I'm loving how extensive everyone was lol)
    I believe 'Di' is very much like 'of' or 'from', seeing that the manwha's title is "Noblesse" and Rai's character just seems like that noble, "I-owned-half-of-[insert country here]" kinda character.

I also believe that the author gave him that name for a reason.
    Not only does it sound cool (important for a protagonist as vital as Rai), it suits his looks and personality (This may be a leap, but Raizel=rose could imply his red eyes, perhaps an important trait? Frankenstein doesn't have them yet is very powerful himself) since Rai is quiet (could be mistaken as gentle or fragile and weak because of it) and stunningly beautiful (lol Rai probably doesn't like being called that xD) it could be seen as ironic compared to his vast power and mysterious, and potentially dark and foreboding background.

This leads me to believe that the author of "Noblesse" chose Rai's name as a way to add another joke into the story: i.e. The badass 6' motorcycle gang member named Tiny = The big bad vampire having ultra feminine names.

It's not a far-fetch seeing all the other obstacles the author put in Rai's way to hinder/torure on his way to discovering this new world. The author's a sadist. And we love it~!

Rai's name is so bad ass

Quote Originally Posted by Ollson View Post
    I agree...
    Cadiz is a city in spain and when i tried a language detector, it said that it was catalan (though catalan dictionaries didn't really help much) so perhaps Rai is originally from that area (catalan being the official language of andorra which is situated right next to spain and also an official language of catalonia, an autonomous community of spain)...
    Which means that his name could mean Rose the second of Cadiz...
    Although that does feel like a bit of a stretch....
    it's deffinitly not taken as 'of Cadis'
    by example in German/Austria etc. (as in middle ages) someone could be named 'Gottfried von Leibniz', the previous example of "Joan D'Arc" in France, in Poland "Zbyszko z Bogdańca"
    as you see - the last part of the name refers to the city telling "I am from the city of", it do not tell "this city resident named ..."
    as I see it - Raizel got 3 possibilites:
    1. it's the place of Rai origin
    2. it's Rai's family name
    3. it's Rai's fater/creator name (di/de were used in italy as "son of" at the end)

and what's more "di" is deffinitly not exacly another name itself but a part that refert to something (place/family/gender etc. basic)
    seeing his memories of garlic etc. he most probably comes from Europe/Middle East/NorthAfrica territories - over there the family name comes last, not first

I think we are deffinitly dealing with the name "Cadis Etrama son of Raizel"
    Last edited by Kryokori; 06-22-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 218 1231151101 ... LastLast