Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really?

A Page Flipper

Default Really?

This manga really pissed me off.
    Just about every story is way too short. I could never get invested in what happens. The mangaka could have spent a little more time developing an idea before shoving the next story in your face. It's like a series of sentence fragments: incomplete thoughts. At the end of chapters I usually find myself thinking "and...?", "that's it?", "was I supposed to be afraid during that chapter? What of", or just "what?" Eventually they just got predictable. It's usually some random person either on the street when they meet a stranger, then something happens, and then the stranger turns out to be A SPOOOOOOOOKY GHOST or something.
    We even get chapters where nothing happens at all ( Wind Voices).
    It's bad when I can predict what's going to happen but it's worse when I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be afraid. Worse still when the characters don't even seem fazed by what they've just witnessed (The Jumper).
    And you know what's the worst part? I actually liked the first volume. Sure, I had some of the same problems as I did before, but I didn't know what to expect. Yeah, I found the "Wrong house" funny. And yeah, I found the teddy bear sweet. and I thought it was creepy places. But now I'm afraid that if I re-read the first volume I won't like it as much. Or maybe it's like Uzumaki and the writer was just running out of ideas halfway through. Or maybe the only horror the Japanese excel at making are in their games. If you're reading this and thinking I'm being a troll I'm not. I want to be scared. I like being scared. If you think you know something that tops this then by all means tell me.

N3wb

as someone who's had experiences with ghosts...this story is realistic. if you want over the top creepy stuff, just go watch the grudge or something. these stories are meant as...campfire stories in a way. just something you'd hear from a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkface View Post
    This manga really pissed me off.
    Just about every story is way too short. I could never get invested in what happens. The mangaka could have spent a little more time developing an idea before shoving the next story in your face. It's like a series of sentence fragments: incomplete thoughts. At the end of chapters I usually find myself thinking "and...?", "that's it?", "was I supposed to be afraid during that chapter? What of", or just "what?" Eventually they just got predictable. It's usually some random person either on the street when they meet a stranger, then something happens, and then the stranger turns out to be A SPOOOOOOOOKY GHOST or something.
    I guess it just wasn't your cup of tea.

I liked it though and it really freak me out, especially since I was reading it in the dark, all by myself, and kept on hearing my house creak and make noises.

I think the reason that its short is because the mangaka wants to leave more room for your imagination? So you can come up with your own theories because sometimes fear of not knowing what and why something occurs is the worst fear of all. But that just how I see it

It's bad when I can predict what's going to happen but it's worse when I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be afraid. Worse still when the characters don't even seem fazed by what they've just witnessed.

Ha I thought that was just a cultural difference thing. Like the Japanese wouldn't be fazed by that, but like me an American would be like HOLY SHIT A GHOST!!!!

If you're reading this and thinking I'm being a troll I'm not. I want to be scared. I like being scared. If you think you know something that tops this then by all means tell me.

Naw I know what your talking about I liked to be scared too. I thought this was pretty good though, and if somebody has any other recommendations they should totally send me one too>

N3wb

I think it just wasn't your thing.
    Personally I think this manga was brilliantly executed and deserves its aptly-named title.
    I mean, I think that's it though, they're "seeds" of anxiety. It's not supposed to be a long-winded, full-blown horror story, and since there are plenty of those here I found the super-short format very intriguing and refreshing.

True, it follows a predictable pattern (people going around their daily lives --> something strange happens --> the end) but I think that's what makes it all the more creepy.
    That tiny little injection of the supernatural into our daily lives.
    In any case, no other horror manga has made me /think/ as much as Seeds of Anxiety has(perhaps because the settings are familiar to me? I'm Japanese after all haha XD). It's the kind you read and you start realizing the pattern and you think "well, I knew that was coming."

But then later you remember it over and over again...

WOW! Now that was a manga which was really able to present very good shot stories of Horror. All the stories were quite new for me, each and everyone was describing a new story. Some of them were actually very good like "Bye-Bye", "The Jumper", "Copy", "Patrolling" etc... these stories were little bit surprising for me. But yes I agree to the point that some of them were quite short. But I think that maybe the bigger length of the stories can have made it to lost it's charm that's why the author has kept it short, plus as the tittle of the manga is the "Seed of Anxiety", I think these short stories has very well done it's work i.e. to make the seed of anxiety develop in our mind.
    I really enjoyed these short -stories!!

A Page Flipper

From what I could tell, the author was using the stories to plant an idea in people's heads and then let them use their imaginations to see how it ends.

Of course it doesn't work with everyone, which might explain why you're dissatisfied.

Since you're looking for something that will really scare you, I suggest "Ibitsu". It's one of my fave horror mangas.

A Page Flipper

I greatly appreciate the response from everyone. Thanks for pointing out the title, I didn't really know why I saw that before. I know that not every story needs a conclusion, that's fine. I just kind of thought the stories could have taken their time to get to the ending (longer time with creep without losing the anxiety) and had more variety in the formula.
    I see a lot of "it's just not your cup of tea", which is why I started this thread. It's great that people like this, I want to enjoy something else the same way. That's why I asked for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by luvlymiyuki View Post
    Since you're looking for something that will really scare you, I suggest "Ibitsu". It's one of my fave horror mangas.
    Thanks miyuki, I'll look into it right away!

Personally, this manga made me go "HOLY S*&#!!" way too many times. -_-
    Last edited by YakisobaBread; 05-20-2011 at 04:00 AM.

To me it reads like a collection of urban legends; it makes you go "wtf", then you kind of shrug it off, every now and then you remember it out of nowhere. I'm tempted to try the one with headphones and cassette, though.

Also, I found a "Fuan no Tane +" on baka-updates, hope to see it getting scanlated, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast