Thread: Oh! Great == HYPERBOLE KING!!!!

N3wb

Default Oh! Great == HYPERBOLE KING!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadou-kou View Post
    My whole take on the whole storytelling of Oh! Great....

True, the Souhaku plot has been there since the past arc. The anime didn't/couldn't go through with Souhaku involvement, but the use of hyperboles were really overused. There was the thing with the whole "True Warrior vs True Demon" and people taking it literally. Using all of those hyperboles, people thought it was actually going to happen.

Then there was the whole thing with Masataka fanboys, trying to make judgments that he possesses all of the special abilities because he was a direct descendant of Susanoo, yet it was stated later that some of the families developed the abilities AFTER he conceived with twelve women and then still saying that he has every ability and he's godly. The chapters that focused on certain character developments did not cut it for me. When we got more that ten chapters focusing on Masataka stepping up and he ends up taking a beating in the last with only making two blows that was only a distraction for the girls to actually do what was needed. Early on, some of the guys like Maya, Masataka, and Mitsuomi complimented Bob on the things he could already do. They give him a couple of chapters to go in depth as to where Bob's talents lie and then that's it. After his fight with Madoka where he was using his breakdance/capoeira, in the last fight we see him in, he completely stopped using it. I really believe that Oh! Great had earlier plans for the main characters but changed it multiple times and made them more on the generic shounen trio (Main Character is stupid and straightforward but never gives up/ Rival is smart and has more variation to their attacks/ the guy that's the best friend/comic relief that usually has the physical strength. Usually strong and has only one real ability with few variations and barely wins a fight). There was so much back and forth between characters that in the end, there was no actual plot, just subplots that had a weird conclusion to them

The ending just came out of nowhere with nothing really going on except that Maya took the blow that was probably meant for her two years ago, the school's a fighting paradise, Bunshichi apparently graduates as they don't even say anything about him but they show two panels of them, Mitsuomi is still alive and Ryuzaki probably still has a broomstick up his ass.

I never exactly got the whole Mitsuomi/Shin fight. What exactly was Mitsuomi supposed to do for/to Shin and why do people keep blaming him for Shin's death when he pierced his own brain with the accupuncture needle. Was the honorable thing to let Shin isolate Maya from everyone else, continue to kill people who even spoke of her name and beat Mitsuomi?
    At least somebody agrees with me. This is what led to me to ask whether this manga wasn't a semi-parody --semi-serious manga.
    -Remember how easy Souhaku died? and Mitsuomi actually thought he had done something important?
    -What about Nagi's mother telling him that if he doesn't know why he's fighting for, he'd keep on channeling the Earth Dragon. Once he made a decision that he'd soar through the sky and become the Dragon of Heaven(hence the Tenjo Tenge title). Yet that was quickly forgotten once the imprisonment(by Souhaku) happened.
    -What about Maya asking Nagi "Can you hand over your life to me?" What was the whole point about Maya going to Nagi's mother and asking permission to use Nagi's life to end the war? Looking back on how the manga ended, dont it make that whole sequence stupid?
    -what about Aya using the Reiki to kill Souhaku inside Nagi? if the Reiki can kill red feathers why did they go back to Souhaku at the end of the manga?
    -Why did Oh Great! even said that the moment Nagi joined the Jyuukenbuu that he'd be the strongest member to ever join the jyuukenbuu?
    -What about Aya telling Nagi that one day he'd become stronger than anyone? whatever happened to that?
    -Why make Nagi look like shin in the first place??
    -whatever happened to all the red feathers that was supposed to be part of the tournament??
    -What was up with "I need you to break me out the cycle" by Nagi to Masataka. Did Masataka break any cycle? he was getting his ass handed to him by mindless monster.
    -Why make Nagi look like monster when Gaokishi looked human?
    -WHy spend 10+ chapters focusing on Masataka character development and other useless subplots when it mounted to nothing in the end?
    -whatever happened to masataka being jealous of Nagi because of aya? whatever happened to the foreshadowed confrontation over that situation?
    -Why did Maya had to die for when The Reiki can kill red feathers?'
    -Why did Maya hate Mitsuomi for anyways? Shouldn't she hate the father more? Wasn't the father the one using her brother as guinnea pig? Why did they spend the whole manga saying he killed Shin? heck why did they even say MItsuomi beat SHin when Shin nearly killed everybody that was at the fight?

And the list goes on.......
    \
    My feeling is that Oh great! stopped caring about the manga once the anime failed. The manga chapters used to be longer and was bi-weekly. But once the anime failed horribly....

Time Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by xxdollarbillxx View Post
    At least somebody agrees with me. This is what led to me to ask whether this manga wasn't a semi-parody --semi-serious manga.
    -Remember how easy Souhaku died? and Mitsuomi actually thought he had done something important?
    -What about Nagi's mother telling him that if he doesn't know why he's fighting for, he'd keep on channeling the Earth Dragon. Once he made a decision that he'd soar through the sky and become the Dragon of Heaven(hence the Tenjo Tenge title). Yet that was quickly forgotten once the imprisonment(by Souhaku) happened.
    -What about Maya asking Nagi "Can you hand over your life to me?" What was the whole point about Maya going to Nagi's mother and asking permission to use Nagi's life to end the war? Looking back on how the manga ended, dont it make that whole sequence stupid?
    -what about Aya using the Reiki to kill Souhaku inside Nagi? if the Reiki can kill red feathers why did they go back to Souhaku at the end of the manga?
    -Why did Oh Great! even said that the moment Nagi joined the Jyuukenbuu that he'd be the strongest member to ever join the jyuukenbuu?
    -What about Aya telling Nagi that one day he'd become stronger than anyone? whatever happened to that?
    -Why make Nagi look like shin in the first place??
    -whatever happened to all the red feathers that was supposed to be part of the tournament??
    -What was up with "I need you to break me out the cycle" by Nagi to Masataka. Did Masataka break any cycle? he was getting his ass handed to him by mindless monster.
    -Why make Nagi look like monster when Gaokishi looked human?
    -WHy spend 10+ chapters focusing on Masataka character development and other useless subplots when it mounted to nothing in the end?
    -whatever happened to masataka being jealous of Nagi because of aya? whatever happened to the foreshadowed confrontation over that situation?
    -Why did Maya had to die for when The Reiki can kill red feathers?'
    -Why did Maya hate Mitsuomi for anyways? Shouldn't she hate the father more? Wasn't the father the one using her brother as guinnea pig? Why did they spend the whole manga saying he killed Shin? heck why did they even say MItsuomi beat SHin when Shin nearly killed everybody that was at the fight?

And the list goes on.......
    \
    My feeling is that Oh great! stopped caring about the manga once the anime failed. The manga chapters used to be longer and was bi-weekly. But once the anime failed horribly....
    ohhhhhh!!......you and Hadou-kou are now my best friends for saying these things!!!

I mean W T F?...this manga is ending with so many unanswered question,and story branches...HELL!..no one ever even bothered to tell Aya why her brother killed their parents an committed suicide..A VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE FOUND OUT ABOUT if Oh Great! had handled the story properly,but that is now being flushed down the toilet....huh!..I`m pretty sure if she were told she would have put and end to Maya an Mitsuomi`s somewhat mindless feud..for she even told Maya earily in the story she didn`t see why Maya was so bent on blameing Mitsuomi for Shin death.*and other readers kept saying they hated her for being ditsy* she wasn`t ditsy!..SHE WAS KEPT IN THE DARK especially by Maya..now forever thankx to Oh Great!.,and then there`s the way the story started with the premise that Nagi an Bob were going to bring change to the school,only to have the story change to Nagi turning into this super crazed god,and Bob pretty much pushed into a 3rd string comic relief stud stereotype who even though was promised to be trained received only what looked like training for the summer olympics.....and then there`s the Masataka craze that I never got.

I personally not only agree with your figureing that Oh Great! gave up because of the anime fail,but I feel with the way he kept changeing the manga he got caught up in trying to please every fanboy/girl by altering the story to what they wanted to see at the time,instead of sticking to his guns and doing his story..this is especially true in Masataka`s case.
    Last edited by paradyneV.1; 09-11-2010 at 06:44 PM.

i couldn't bother reading the whole thing that you guys said but I'm pretty sure it wasn't shin that killed his parents, Masataka's dad (former head of the Takayanagi family) confessed to killing them, and Souchirou was complaining to Aya if she wasn't going to do anything about it ...
    Last edited by jeanjake; 06-18-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: grammer errors?

~Big Boys Don't Cry~ The_Pervysage's Avatar
    Look to your left...no your other left....darn you missed it. Okay let's try this again....

i totally feel what you guys are saying, the manga might have been completed but the story wasn't completed at all.

And the bob thing kinda pissed me off too, and i believe bob was in a better position to be developed into handling nagi because nagi is his bestfriend hence his burden, masataka's burden was his brother which he lifted after kicking mitsuomi's butt.

the whole love triangle thing also contributed a whole lot into messing up the story, along with the numerous questions listed above.

They don't know you mean more than just a friend
    To me, you are my brother
    Even if i try to get to you in vain
    And the thoughts of you brings me much Pain
    Still, i will never give up on you
    I will keep on bumping till i get through
    You know what they say
    Never give up on Family

[RAINBOW]Wanna know more about the Akatsuki?[/RAINBOW]

Wow, Really great thread!! I tend to think OG's heart went out of this story and he used this mainly as a vent for whatever was on his mind at the time hence the complete aimlessness that plagues this manga at times.
    So many other dead end plot threads too like Kamura. She quickly became my favourite female after establishing a dislike for Maya (the 'cockroach bitch') then bam! No idea what happened to her. Oh well...