Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should one bother to re-read.. ?

cheetos: crunchy Madame-Glasses's Avatar

Question Should one bother to re-read.. ?

Fruits Basket was the very first manga I ever read. It has a secret spot hidden away deep in my heart (where no one will ever find it), and after reading the first couple chapters of volume 6 again a couple days ago, I'm wondering if I should bother?

Pros:
    a It's pretty much a classic. Any girl who has read a page of manga has read Fruits Basket.
    b It was my first manga. It was the manga that took my manga virginity, if you will. To rejuvenate my youth.
    (Feel free to announce some pros).'

Cons:
    a I always wanted Tohru to be with Yuki. Yuki was my type :P Obviously she didn't.
    b I'd have to sit through arcs. I hate some of the story arcs.
    c I hate Tohru, period.
    d It's a pointlessly long manga about how depressing people's lives are.
    (I can continue, but how about I don't).

Fruits Basket readers, I seek your guidance: Is Fruits Basket worth my time after all these years?

Hard to say. If you feel like you'd like to go through it again then knock yourself out. If you feel weary of such an exercise, then don't. Most likely the impressions you've been left with won't have changed all too much, though if you haven't thought about the manga at all since your first read (like "now I've read it, time to forget it"), then a re-read might end up highlighting stuff you missed before, and perhaps cause a shift or maturation of your opinions. But whether it's worth for you to read it again, well that's just personal choice, because anybody who likes the manga will just say "yes," and those who don't will say "don't bother," and you won't be any the wiser than when you started.

Personally I never re-read anything really, even if I enjoyed them. Like I'd be less inclined to go through a book I've read rather than just moving onto a new one I haven't read yet. The same with manga, though I occasionally like to return to certain segments I liked or if I need to check something out, but rarely ever would I just go through the whole thing again from start to finish.

I have to agree, reread the story at your own discretion. From what you just said, it sounded like the only "pros" you have are sentimentality and "because everyone's read it." So have you.

Actually, if you have to start a topic about this at all, you probably shouldn't read it. If you have to be talked into reading something you've already read, even though you absolutely despise the main character, it's a bit obvious that this manga just isn't for you. Which is fine. Sometimes, it's just not a good fit.

Personally, though, I do reread stories that I like. But if the book's not especially good, but there were one or two scenes that I really enjoyed? I'd skip straight to those scenes, read them a million times over. For example, my copy of La Corda d'Oro volume 6 has a page that is permanently bookmarked, because I just love that scene. (And I've panicked on more than one occasion over losing one of my playing cards because I happened to be using it as a bookmark and forgot.)

So basically, read the manga again if you want to. Or don't. Or maybe just read your favorite parts. In the end, it's all up to you.

Starting the Path to Legendary Kurisuta1's Avatar

It sounds like you don't even like the story that much, you're just sentimental towards it because it was your first.

I've re-read Fruits Basket a few times. The greatest thing I can say about re-reading it is that you'll notice things each time you do that you didn't notice before. There is tons of great foreshadowing throughout the whole story that takes a second read to pick up on and will help you understand it and appreciate it more fully.

But I wouldn't see much point in re-reading it if you really didn't like it that much the first time (unless your wanting to see if re-reading it will make you like it this time) and I'd only re-read it if you really want to. I don't think in the end what other people are going to say matters much.

See this one statement can go two ways:

d It's a pointlessly long manga about how depressing people's lives are.
    A: Don't bother re-reading it cause you obviously don't even like the manga

B: Re-read is NOW because you obviously didn't understand it and don't know just how brilliant this manga is.

So in the end it's really just up to you.
    Last edited by Kurisuta1; 07-02-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    HEY LOVELY PEOPLE! Those of you that know me, I just wanted to say that I am planning to study abroad in South Korea this summer (2014) and if any of you could be willing to give some support to help me raise the remaining funds that would be lovely! Even just a small amount $5 or $10 would mean the world! You can go here and read more about the program and donate if you can! THANKS A TON

Please check out my art blog for more like the above, including great Doctor Who, FMA, Fruits Basket, Gilmore Girls fanart, fanvids and more! Also, original art and photography. Please like, reblog and follow!
    Quote Originally Posted by smileybird View Post
    Kurisuta you're like a Fruits Basket Wiki.
    greatest thing anyone has ever said to me

Well, tho I disagree with many of your cons (actually--all), I'd have to say that just because it was your first, you don't seem to have too much liking for it. I go back to this one often, as it was my first manga too, but I actually like the story. You don't seem to enjoy to much, and even tho you have a bit of nostalgia for it, I think you'd prefer not to. But that's juat from what I gathered from your original post, so in the end it's up to you.

I've read thiss eries more then 5 times because I could never get enoguh of it. I have no idea but this manga has to be one of the ebst I have read, aside from my love for the phycological genre.
    Favorite Manga/Manhwa
    Gakuen Alice
    Kimi No Todoke
    Dengeki Daisy
    Skip Beat
    Akuma De Sourou
    Kimi Wa Pet
    and a whole lot more. xD

i think by the last part of your decrption you probably shouldn't

Has a Few Faves

I'm sorry but pretty much only read 1,2,3,4,11,18

I'm sorry you feel it's pointlessly long about how depressing people's lives are... but it truly is one of my favorite mangas (and I just recently reread it). In the end, it's up to you. If you read only because it's "popular", then you are reading it for the wrong reasons. You should only read something that you enjoy reading.

A Page Flipper

Well I think Fruits Basket is really funny, though the anime may have had more one liners (or maybe it was just how sexy the voices were that made them better.) I think this manga is hilarious and even if you don't reread the whole thing just your favorite parts I think would be worthwhile.

95% of teens would cry if they saw EDWARD CULLEN at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Put this as part of your sig if you are part of the 5% that would sit here with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!
    Last edited by Iristar 80; 07-05-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast